All you need when you are down and out, is a good workout and some carbohydrates .Yes,this is one dish which gym instructor hates- fried crispy potatoes also known in Sindhi cuisine as ‘Aloo tuk‘.The world came up with junk food catastrophe much later, we have had it for ages together..Who would have thought an item from Spain would end up being so Indian.’Aloo tuk‘ or fried potatoes is spicy chunky potatoes, which can help you get over any failure broken heart or depression.This recipe is similar to the fried colocasia or ‘arbi tuk‘ and a great way of having root vegetables like yam or sweet potato.
Although we love it as sides, with Sindhi curry rice and sweet boondi,this is a great recipe just on its own.It is also very handy when you have guests coming over at a short notice and you do not have time to rush to the market to get your veggies.It can pass on as a snack during your soccer games and help you save that bill on expensive peri peri fries and wedges.
Scroll below to read the recipe of aloo tuk
- 3 medium sized Potatoes
- Oil for deep frying
- 1/2 tsp Mango powder
- 1/2 tsp Red chili powder
- 1 tsp Coriander powder
- Salt to taste
- In a bowl, add all the dry spices and mix well. Keep it aside.
- Wash and peel potatoes and make big cubes.
- Sprinkle some salt over potato pieces and let it rest for 5 mins.
- Heat oil in a deep pan and gently slide the potatoes in it.
- Cook on low heat till till they are slightly cooked and tender
- Remove them from the oil and drain on a paper napkin and let it cool down.
- Slightly press the potatoes between your palms or flatten them with a the back of a ladle or spoon.
- Heat the oil again and fry the pieces on high heat till they become golden and crisp.
- Drain on a paper napkin and immediately sprinkle the spice mix,and gently mix.
- Serve immediately as they will loose their crispiness after some time.
- It tastes best when served with Sindhi kadhi chawal.
- Don’t press too hard otherwise they will break into pieces or will turn into a mash.you just have to slightly flatten them.
- You can increase or decrease the quantity of the spice mix as per your taste.