‘Dal makhni’,or ‘Maa di daal‘ is a dish which can make or break your hotel.It is very simple yet the taste lies in its simplest techniques.The best place to have this daal is at Amritsar.This is served as Prasad in the Golden Temple langar and the blessings of Guru Nanak makes it pious and revered.Another place where this heavenly ‘daal’ is served with loads of love, is at ‘Kesar da dhaba‘ very close to the Golden Temple complex.This dhaba is legendary,even the locals prefer getting this daal at home, instead of making it.Here is our favourite recipe of Dal makhni,which is a show stopper at any party or gathering.We love cooking it on Sunday ,hope you will enjoy making it too.
To watch the video on how to make this yummy dal makhni click on the link below:
To read the recipe scroll below
- 1 cup kali Whole urad dal/black gram lentils soaked overnight and boiled
- 1/4 cup Rajma (red kidney beans) soaked overnight and boiled
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp Ghee or clarified butter
- 2 large tomatoes, pureed
- 1/2 cup malai or fresh cream
- 1 tbsp Ginger-garlic
- 1 tbsp Green chillies, chopped finely
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp Kasoori methi or Dried fenugreek leaves
- 1/2 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped finely
- 1/2 tbsp salt
- 1/2 tbsp Red chili powder
- 2-3 cup Water
- 3-4 red chillies
- Take whole urad dal and rajma in a bowl. Rinse and wash them with cold water for 4-5 times.
- Soak them in enough water for 8 hours or overnight.
- Once soaked, they will get double in size. Discard the soaking water.
- Take whole urad and rajma in a pressure cooker. Add 2 cups of water and salt and pressure cook for 6 whistles or till the dal is cooked.It will take 15-20 minutes.
- If it is not cooked, then add little more water and cook for few more whistles.
- Puree tomatoes,green chillies,garlic,ginger in a food processor.
- Cook the boiled dal with equal amount of water,chilly powder and salt for 15 mins.
- Add tomato paste and cook for 10 mins.
- Add fresh cream and cook for 10 mins.
- Add remaining spices,kasuri methi and cook for 10 mins.
- Heat ghee in a pan and temper red chillies.
- Add red chillies to dal.
- Garnish with coriander.
- Serve hot with rice or roti/parantha or any other flatbread.
- Replacing the tomatoes with 4 tablespoons of thick tomato paste will enhance the taste and colour of the dish.
- Bring the cream to room temperature before using. Chilled or cold cream can split when put in hot dal.
For more punjabi recipes click Punjabi