‘Kulfi’ is an immensely popular frozen dessert.It is the traditional ice cream of the Indian Subcontinent.It is greatly relished in hot summer when the throat goes parched due to high temperatures across India.It is also a great way to serve milk to picky kids who never say no to ice cream.Saffron,peach,mango,pistachio,cardamom,rose are the most common flavors available in market.
Simple to make, yet extremely delicious.Absolute must for any wedding be it summer or winter.
There is no grown up who wouldn’t relish a Kulfi.
It brings out the memories of our playful childhood now lost to the race of livelihood.
Kesar Pista Kulfi (saffron and pistachios) is a popular flavor.
[adrotate banner=”1″] Origin of Kulfi
Dates back to 16th century Hindu rulers.Also very popular in Mughal era.
The origin of word ‘Kulfi’ is from Persian language meaning covered cup.
It is not whipped like its western counterpart-ice cream.
Hence it is denser and takes longer to melt.
Passionfruit,berry based,kiwi and avocado are new flavors these days.
We also serve it with rice vermicili or ‘falooda‘ and sugar syrup mixed with dry fruits and nuts.
Traditionally in India, Kulfiwalas roam in the streets and by-lanes with a pot on their head.
Cover it with bright red cloth and ice around it.When we were children,it was a common to wait for them in summer.
Just after lunch at around tea time at 4 pm, so that we could dash to the door as soon as the Kulfiwallah approaches.
It was our little treat for being a good child the whole day from our ever vigilant mothers.
Scroll below to read the recipe of Kesar Pista Kulfi
- 1 liter full fat milk
- 1/2 cup condensed milk
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp pistachios sliced
- Strands of saffron
- Slice the pistachios into thin slices. Keep it aside
- Boil 1 liter full fat milk and reduce it till 1/3rd on a low flame.
- Once the milk is reduced, add the condensed milk and sugar.
- Add few strands of saffron to 1 tbsp milk.
- Add this saffron milk mixture along with pistachios to the above mix.
- Cook for 10 more minutes on a low flame.
- Keep this mix and let it cool.
- Refrigerate in the desired moulds for 4-5 hours.
- Serve once it is set.
- You can also add finely chopped cashews,almonds,as per your choice.