Khorak-Sindhi sweet,is a traditional recipe made with wholemeal flour,dry fruits,ghee and khuskhus**(poppy seeds).It is prepared all around the year,primarily during winters and Diwali.This is a very simple recipe and can be done with minimal ingredients in less than 30 minutes.This is our take on this classic recipe Khorak. Traditionally gond(edible gum) makes it more rich and heavy.Here we have replaced white sugar with natural jaggery** to make it healthier.You may use white sugar in equal quantity as of flour. We had to use a bit more of jaggery to get the required sweetness. You may garnish with melon seeds as done in the traditional recipe.
** Pls check with your medical practitioner in case of any allergies.
To watch the video click on the link below:
To read the written recipe scroll down
- Flour 125 gms (3/4 cup)
- Ghee 125 gms (1/2 cup)
- Water 125 ml (1/2 cup)
- Gud/Jaggery 175 gms (3/4 cup)
- Dry fruits(cashews,almonds,walnuts,raisins) 60 gm (¼ cup) chopped finely
- Khus khus(poppy seeds) 25 gm (2 tbsp.)
- Dessicated coconut 2 tbsp
- Cardamom 3-4,seeds only
- Heat water in a pan, add the jaggery/gud pieces.Boil it, until it forms a sticky liquid.Keep this aside
- Heat ghee in a pan. Add flour and cook on medium flame stirring continuously until golden brown, this will take around 5-6 minutes
- Add all other ingredients except the jaggery mix to the flour mix.Mix well
- Add the jaggery syrup to the flour mix at high flame
- Cook for 1-2 minutes on medium flame and turn off the heat once the jaggery syrup has been absorbed.
- Spread the mix in a tray lined with baking paper or greased with ghee.
- Garnish with extra dry fruit slices.
- Let this set for 2-3 hours and cut into required shapes.This can be stored in a cool and dark place for 1-2 weeks.
- Note: You can also replace jaggery with same amount of sugar.
- Jaggery and poppy seeds are added as this sweet is made at onset of winter for Diwali.These ingredients are heat inducing so increase immunity of the body naturally against changing cold weather.Please check with the doctor ,before including in your diet,in case of any allergies or medical conditions.