Dal khichdi or Dal khichuri is a comfort food for many.It works great when you are sick or just want a light meal.It is healthy,low calorie,gluten-free,vegan and very tasty.Simple yet rich in taste. Anyone can cook it.Be it an amateur or a bachelors.Here is a simple recipe for an instant khichdi or Moong wale chawar- Lentil rice.
This recipe is cooked in Sindhi households in summer for dinner.
This rice specialty is served with fried potatoes,diced mangoes and a big bowl of yogurt.
You can skip the yogurt and eat it with any curry if you want to eat vegan.Moong ware chawar is simple yet tasty.
What makes this recipe special?
When we add chilke wali moong dal to rice, it ensures you get fiber content of moong dal or split green gram lentils.
Protein and fiber of the lentils,adds to the nutrients available in rice making it healthy.
This is otherwise lost while making normal yellow mung dal khichdi.
You need no spices for this so it is a budget meal.
This recipe is very simple and yet wholesome.
Serve with fried potatoes/ brinjals if vegan or just raita(yogurt dip).
It is a time to eat less spicy and oily.Hence, you can avoid acidity naturally in summer.
This mung wale chawar recipe is healthy,non-spicy,simple meal.
Read the recipe of Moong wale chawar- Lentil rice
Moong wale chawar- Lentil rice
- ½ cup raw rice
- ¼ cup split green lentil green moong dal
- 1 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- a pinch of asafoetida heeng (avoid if gluten-free)
- 1 ½ cup water
- salt to taste
- Rinse rice and lentil thoroughly. Soak in water for 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add cumin seeds and asafoetida. Let it fry for few seconds.
- Add water, salt and allow it to boil.
- Add soaked rice and lentil to the boiling water and let it cook for 5 minutes on high flame.
- Low down the flame and let it cook completely on slow flame.
- Serve hot with fried potatoes,fried brinjals, mangoes and yogurt,for the traditional meal/curry if serving vegan meal.
Click here for more recipe videos
Click here for more rice bowl recipes