Sindhi cuisine is one of the oldest cuisines of India.Our forefathers had always stressed on having greens in our daily diet.Having greens is highly beneficial to health.
Here is a Sindhi dish, which ensures the body receives both iron and protein rich green curry along with carbohydrates in rice. Sai Bhaji is best served in dinner with fried potatoes,crispy and some salad.Enjoy!
Who are Sindhis ?
Sindhis are the descendants of Indus valley civilization.This community has survived the test of both the time and partition.Although, the diaspora got scattered, post the bloodshed and partition, they have preserved ‘Sindhiyat’ wherever they settled .
Similarity with Telugu cuisine
Telugu lentil palakura pappu is also made in a similar fashion.In this case,we add tamarind and temper with dried red chilly,garlic and curry leaves.You can use tuvar or arhar/split pigeon peas lentil for it.
Click here to watch the video of Sai Bhaji
To read the recipe of Sai bhaji scroll below:
Write a review
- 1 cup yellow mung dal/arhar dal(split pigeon pea)
- 500 grams Spinach chopped after removing stalks
- 2 medium size Tomatoes
- 1 medium size Onion finely chopped
- 1 medium size Carrot finely chopped
- 2 tbsp clarified butter('ghee') or oil if vegan
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp chillies finely chopped
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp red chilly powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp kasuri methi optional
- 1/2 cup water
- Wash the lentils and soak in water for 30 mins.
- Remove the stalks of spinach.
- Chop it into smaller pieces, keep it aside.
- In a pressure cooker, heat the oil .
- Add cumin seeds and let it splutter.
- Add chilli, ginger.Saute them for 10 secs.
- Now add onions and salt, until the onions turn pinkish in color.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for 5 -10 mins.
- Once they soften,add the spices and carrots.
- Add the spinach followed by lentils and water.
- Pressure cook for 2-4 whistles on high flame.
- Set down the flame to low.Let it cook for another 4-5 whistles.(approx 15 to 20 mins).
- Open the lid, mash it well with the whisker.Adjust its consistency to a semi-dry.
- Serve hot with plain white rice or Bhuggal Chawal.
- You may also use channa dal or Bengal gram for the same.
- Depending on your taste,add little quantity of khatta bhaji, fenugreek leaves and dill leaves along with spinach.
- Accordingly adjust the quantity of spinach in the recipe.
- Reduce the quantity of tomatoes if using Khatta chukka or khatta bhaji.
- Spinach shrinks and leaves water when hot.
- Add more water will make the recipe more liquid.
Second Recipe http://www.secondrecipe.com/