Butter chicken or makhan murg is one of the easiest and most loved recipes. It always brings a smile to a non-vegetarian foodie.
Why is it called murg makhani?
Some people also call it murg makhani or makhan murg. Protein is cooked in a creamy buttery/makhani gravy. Indian style butter chicken never disappoints.
Kundan Lal Gujral and Kundan lal Jaggi invented this in his restaurant Moti Mahal at Delhi accidentally. Well it was certainly been a dish the world was waiting for.This dish is one of the signature dishes of Punjabi cuisine. UK goes ga ga over Chicken tikka masala but Indians groove to this chicken makhani. Apparently one dish which makes the whole western world crazy about Indian cuisine. Butter chicken curry made someone even break the quarantine rules in Australia. Also, rightly so.
You can never say no,if you love your chicken. It is a regular at all parties, receptions. You can also make it easily for dinner.
What to have with murg makhani?
You can have it with any of them -Basmati rice, Naan, Afghani bread from Costco tandoori roti. You can never go wrong with this dish when non-veg lovers come over .It is one of the best recipes of Mughlai/Tandoori origin. It is available at all dhabas across India. Most Punjabi and Delhi restaurants serve it and all foodies are ready to lap it up.
Step-by-step pictures for making the best butter chicken sauce
how to make butter chicken?
- 400 g chicken curry cut
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- salt as per taste
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- ½ cup yogurt
- 1 tsp garam masala
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- 2 tbsp oil for brushing
- 4 medium tomatoes
- 2 tbsp ghee/oil
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- ½ tsp garam masala
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tbsp butter
- 50 ml cooking cream
- 1 tsp kasuri methi/dried fenugreek leaves
- Chopped coriander to garnish
- Mix all the ingredients for marination and add chicken to it.
- Keep it aside for 4-6 hours.
- Grill it in an pre-heated fan-forced oven at 160 deg C(180 deg C for convection) for 10 minutes.
- Brush oil on the chicken and turn them over and grill again for 10 minutes.
- Steam the tomatoes,de-skin,puree and sieve it.
- In a pan,heat oil,add tomato sauce to it.
- Add spices to it and let it cook for 5 minutes.
- Now,add the grilled chicken to it and let it come to a boil,cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Add cream,butter to it and stir well.
- Add dried fenugreek leaves and garnish with chopped coriander.
- Serve hot with roti or rice.
If you still can't decide between chicken or egg? These recipes might help.
Also, click here to watch more curry recipe videos.