India is blessed with bountiful beaches and flowing rivers.Majestic waters give it an amazing coastline.Coastline implying love for fishes.Fish is a staple diet for many.Every curry has a special method.Be it a river or sea water one.Some people go at great lengths to get their fish.Sunday fish market trips for men are very common while women make the curry at lunch in many Bengali households.
Some restaurants are famous just for their fish curry. Gajalee in Mumbai is one such restaurant.So is Gomantak which specializes in Goan cuisine.
Traditionally,we fry fish before adding to gravy.However we bake in this version.Baking it ensures the pieces are cooked and are crispy.It also helps you avoid extra calories and oil.You can make it on a lazy weekend brunch.Easy and low oil.Healthy fish curry is a great way to add more omega 3 and vitamin E to your diet.
Tip to make during a weeknight:
If you want to make it instantly,keep the batch of curry ready and freeze it.
Just bake the fish and add to it.
Give it a boil while you make rice.
This will help you have a home cooked meal instead of ordering online.
Step-by-step: healthy fish curry recipe
Read the healthy fish curry recipe below
Healthy fish curry
- 5-6 medium fish cutlets
- 4 tbsp oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger/garlic paste
- 1 cup fresh tomato puree
- 2 cups of water
- For garnish : chopped coriander optional
- 1 tsp. turmeric powder
- 1 tsp. chili powder or as per taste
- 2 tsp. salt or as per taste
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1 tsp. garam masala powder or powdered green/black cardamom, cloves, cinnamon
For cooking fish:
- Heat 1 tbsp oil and cook the fish cutlets for 2-3 minutes on each side,keep aside.
For fish Curry:
- Heat the remaining oil in pan.
- Add cumin seeds and whole spices, let them crackle; add onion,ginger/garlic paste.
- Sauté until onions are golden brown.
- Add tomato puree, salt and sauté for 10 minutes.
- Now,add rest of the spices and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add water and let it boil.
- Add the cooked fish pieces to the curry and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with coriander, serve warm with rice or malabar parota.
Click here to see more curry recipes.
Also,click here to see more recipe videos from our youtube channel "secondrecipe".