Peach kheer is a very rich and creamy dessert, which one can prepare easily. Kheer also known as Indian rice pudding.It is a very simple recipe.You can make it whenever you want to eat something sweet.
Traditionally we make Kheer with rice, milk and sugar. Adding peaches gives it a wonderful creamy smooth texture.
Kheer is a common traditional dessert from South Asia. In winter,enjoy it as a warm dessert or have it chilled in summer.
Also it is a great way of having milk if you do not relish a glass of milk.
Peaches need to be soft and sweet in taste.If they are too sour milk might curdle. Choose ripened yellow ones to get the best color in the dessert.
How do you pick a peach that ensures there is no curdling? Here are a couple of pointers to help you select the best peach.
- The best place to buy peaches is the local farmers’ market as you will get fresh produce and one which has not lost the flavor, due to long travel time.
- One must look for peaches which are vibrant in color, avoiding the green undertones.
- The skin of the fruit should be unwrinkled and smooth.
- Leave the fruit at room temperature for 1-2 days if they are hard so that they ripen. You can store the soft ones in refrigerator for 3-5 days.
- 1/2 cup white rice (soaked in water for 30 minutes and washed)
- 6 cups (1½ liter) full fat milk
- ½ cup coconut sugar (or palm sugar)
- 1 tsp. stevia(optional, substitute with 2 tbsp. coconut sugar)
- 2 -3 ripe peaches, peeled and chopped
- 2-3 cardamoms
- 1 tsp. saffron (optional)
- Heat milk in a thick bottom pan. Allow it to boil.
- Add pre-washed rice and cardamom.
- Cook on a slow flame, stirring slowly, until the rice is cooked.
- Add saffron, coconut sugar and stevia.
- Add more milk if required.
- Stir slowly on low heat for 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat.
- Serve warm/chilled.