Mexican black bean quinoa salad is super crunchy, super light wholesome meal. This dish takes Quinoa to center stage. Quinoa is power-packed grain full of proteins and nutrients.Mexican black beans get a distinct color and flavor to it.Corn,cherry tomatoes and avocadoes with or without some feta cheese make it the best meal ever.Have it for breakfast lunch or dinner or a quick snack before you rush to that important meeting,you will never feel hunger pangs shutting your mind again!!
For those who are not familiar,Quinoa is a super-food and it is worth all the hype.It has an ancestory of Andeans and has been used a lot by Mexican community.Easy to cook and digest,has good nutrients and is very easily available in super market.Mexican black bean can be called as the cousin of Kidney beans which come red in color or just plain ‘Rajma’.You can replace them with ‘Rajma’ if you cannot find these locally.Some feta cheese,lime juice,onions and basic spices can be added optionally.Trump may not like Mexicans but this dish is the trump card to health.It has complex carbohydrates,proteins,vitamins,minerals and great taste to go with it.Andeans have been using this for a long time now and it is one of the most popular dishes in South America. No wonder then, that 2013 was declared as International year of Quinoa by UN General Assembly.
Scroll below to read the recipe of Mexican black bean quinoa salad
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1/2 cup black beans soaked for a about 4 hours
- 1/4 cup corn kernels
- 1/2 avocado optional
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 small green chillies
- 1 onion chopped
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes cut into halves
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp black pepper ground
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- Coriander leaves for garnish
- Boil 1 cup quinoa in 2 cups liquid (you can use water or vegetable stock).
- Lower the heat and let it cook covered for about 15 minutes so that most of the liquid gets absorbed.
- Turn off the heat and let it stand covered for another 5 min.
- Soak the black beans for about 4 hours or even overnight.
- Cook the black beans for about 15-20 in medium heat in a pressure cooker. They should be soft to chew. Or you can use canned black beans.
- Add avocado
- Mix all ingredients together and gently toss together.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Season to taste.
- Serve at room temperature.
Click here for more international recipes.
Click here for additional recipe videos.