Sindhi Pulao or ‘Bhugge chawar‘ is a special delicacy for all Sindhi families.Working moms also face a lot of challenge.Managing kitchen,kids and household chores is not a joke.All you need is easy to cook recipes and also ensure that there are healthy dinners.It is also vegan and gluten-free recipe.
However,you can eat it with a cup of tea or some yogurt or ‘boondi raita‘ if you love dairy.
It is just what you need when you are lazy to cook need a break from cooking.I love to cook this when I have had a long day at work.
Also works great,when I don’t want to eat something spicy.
You can add potatoes and peas to this recipe to make it more filling. Caramalized onions,potatoes with some peas in rice and some yogurt is just pure bliss..Bon Appetite!
Scroll below to read the recipe of Sindhi Pulao
- 2 cups basmati rice, cleaned and washed (2-3 times)
- 2 tbsp ghee or oil if vegan
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 inch stick cinnamon
- 3 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1 large potato diced
- 1-2 green chilies, roughly chopped
- 1 bowl of green peas
- 1 tsp red chilly powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam masala optional
- Salt to taste
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker.
- Add cumin seeds, bay leaves and cinnamon stick.
- Add onions and fry the sliced onion till dark brown in color.
- The onions should be cooked as much as possible, just before they turn black.
- Now,add green chillies,red chilly powder and garam masala powder.
- Add chopped potatoes and peas.
- Sauté for another 2 minutes.
- Stir in the rice and add 3-1/2 cups of water.
- Cover the lid of the pressure cooker and cook the rice till one whistle.
- After the first whistle, turn the heat to low and simmer for 3 minutes and turn off the heat.
- Once the pressure is released open the cooker and fluff the rice with a fork.
- You can also serve this pulao with curd or yogurt dip/ boondi raita and some fried or roasted papad if you like yogurt along with rice.
- However it can also be eaten with any chutney or some tomato sauce.It tastes great even without a dip.
- Adjust the quantity of water as per the quality of rice.
- You can cook this in a normal vessel with a heavy bottom and a lid on top.