Dates are a natural source of energy.They are power packed with protein, dietary fiber, Vitamin B1, B2, B3, B, and A1& C.It is free from cholesterol, have high potassium and iron content. . Sugar free date roll is a great way to have dates without too much work.This traditional recipe can be made 1-2 days in advance. It requires no additional sugar and also requires little cooking.Dates are very common in African and middle eastern countries as they grow with very little water.Pitted dates are one of the biggest exports from Dubai and it is a great source of energy without addition of any treated sugar in the diet.
Scroll below to read the sugar free Date roll recipe:
- 1 cup dates pitted (remove seeds, if seeded)
- 1/4 cup almonds
- 1/4 cup cashews
- 1-2 cardamoms
- 1/4 cup coconut shredded
- 1-2 tbsp milk/coconut milk if vegan
- 3-4 pistachios optional
- 1 tbsp ghee/vegan butter
- Heat a pan and dry roast almonds and cashew nuts for 5 -6 minutes on a slow flame.
- Keep this aside.
- Coarsely chop them in a chopper along with cardamom for 1-2 minutes.
- Chop the dates in small pieces.
- Heat butter/ghee(clarified butter) in a pan.
- Add the dates to it and cook them on a slow flame for 5-6 minutes.
- Add milk and keep stirring until they become soft and start sticking together
- Then add the roasted nuts to it along with coconut powder.
- Let it cook for a few minutes.
- Mix well until it forms a slightly sticky mixture.
- Turn off the heat and let it cool.
- Grease your palms with 1 tsp. ghee\oil.
- Now mold this mixture into a cylindrical shape by rolling in a butter\baking paper or aluminum foil.
- Refrigerate for 2-3 hours.
- Cut the roll in small discs and serve in a plate.
- Garnish with dry pistachios.
Finally, for more recipe videos click here