This is an unprecedented time.Hence, people are feeling stuck and anxious.Corona lockdown is a total chaos.People are rushing to shop even non-essentials.The time is to shop smart and be wise.Overstocking anything will only get wasted.Also,many others will not get essentials.Some people have huge freezers and pantry.They are buying so much that there is very little left for others in suburbs.
Remember, everyone needs to have their basics or everyone is at risk.We all need to protect ourselves from germs and hoarding is just going to cause the opposite in corona lockdown.
Time is the best healer and it is time to connect with oneself and with nature.Use your time wisely and creatively.Most people who loved the idea of staying at home are now dying to go out.It is human nature to rebel.However, your action could be harmful to others with less immunity.One needs to understand,virus doesn't differentiate.We must follow government guidelines and stay put.In this pandemic times.
Some people are lost even to understand what to store and which things are good to have.We feel like a puppet being pulled at all sides.Nothing is as important as staying alive at the moment!
We can all go back to living our lives our way after all this.Just stay calm and creative.
Remember your nation and community should benefit from you and not otherwise!
Note: The key is to have essentials f0r 2-3 weeks but not hoard them.
What to stock during Corona lockdown?
- Basic lentils, beans,chickpeas 1 kg packets suffice for months when used in rotation.
- Bread,Rice,Wheat ,plain flour,millets
- Milk powder,tetra pack of long shelf life milk.
- 1 packet of Butter and Cheese/frozen Paneer,peas lasts quite long if used wisely.
- 1 can of oil.
- Root veggies that can be stored at room temperature like potatoes, onions,sweet potatoes.
- Pasta,quinoa and semolina.A packet each.
- Canned tomatoes /tomato puree
- Dry spices like turmeric powder,red chlli powder,cumin powder,coriander powder,dried mango powder.
- Fresh veggies and fruits for a week.Buying too much will only get wasted.
- Personally my 2 cents>stay away from meat and eggs at this time.If you cannot do without meat,have jackfruit instead.
- Medicines especially for cold and flu.Any medicine which is on regular use like BP,thyroid diabetic usage.Face mask as per requirement.
- Dettol,Box of dishwasher tablet/washing liquid and 1 box of detergent.f
- Wet wipes and box of nappies for your toddler.
- 1 bottle of Hand sanitizer,1 extra bottle of handwash and a packet of cleaning wipes.
- Wet wipes and box of nappies for your toddler
- One packet of toilet paper.Has multiple rolls.Remember others also need.It lasts quite long.
Activities & Things to do during Corona lockdown
- Reconnect with yourself.Make a bucket list of ideas you can execute once pandemic ends.Be it travel goals,hobby ideas,reading list etc.
- Read all those books lying at home or download on the kindle.Many always wanted to read but never had the time.Time is now!
- MarieKondo your home!Sanitize redecorate & reorganize.
- Watch all old comedies or thrillers on the web,/Netflix/Prime/Disney.I love all old Japsal Bhatti serials and enjoy it on Youtube.
- Learn to cook.Scroll our 300+recipes and learn to cook. Watch our recipe videos.Leave us a feedback.We would love to hear from you.Use your time to make snacks and food just like in the olden days when everything was made at home.Healthy and creative.Just like our mums and grandmums would do it.
- Music heals.Listen to whatever you like be it country,jazz,rock,pop or Bollywood.
- Chant,meditate,pray and be calm.
- Learn Origami or craft ideas from Youtube.
- Read out stuff with your kids.
- Sleep! Most of us donot.Always complain,Now is the time.
- Connect with your family.Call up all those friends who you couldn't connect due to lack of time.
Top 5 recipes course-wise (with minimal ingredients) to survive the Corona lockdown
Top 5 snack recipes
- Vegetarian Puffs : Pastry sheets last long in the freezer.Put in any left over boiled veggies with some spices. Click here to read the recipe.
- Bread Roll: Vegetable sausage made with left over bread and potatoes.Click here to read the recipe.
- Cornflakes Chiwda: Gluten-free & Vegan.Easy snack to make if you do not have cornflakes at home.You can also poha.Click here to read the recipe.
- Bhelpuri: Gluten-free & Vegan.Easy snack of puffed rice with chopped tomatoes,onions and peanuts.Click here to read the recipe.
- Sanna pakoras: Gluten-free & Vegan.Fritters made of chickpea flour and onions.Click here to read the recipe.
Top 5 easy breakfast recipes
- Poha: Gluten-free & Vegan.Rice flakes snack easy for breakfast or tea-time.Click here to read the recipe.
- Uttapam/Dosa/Idli: Gluten-free & Vegan.Make thin wraps like dosa or use left over veggies to make a fermented pancake Uttapam if you are not making steamed dumplings(Idli).Click here to read the recipe.
- Seyun Patata: Sweet vermicelli served with fried potatoes.Click here to read the recipe.
- Dal Pakwan: Brunch recipe Hot ladles of lentils served with fried flatbread either pakwan or Poori. Click here to read the recipe.
- Wholewheat eggless banana pancake:If kids love pancake,this is an easy option. Click here to read the recipe.
Top 5 main course recipes(No veggies? no problem)
- Dahi ki kadhi: Gluten-free.Make pakoras for snack,dunk in kadhi for dinner.Click here to read the recipe.
- Channa Masala: Gluten-free & vegan. Chickpea curry always a staple when you do not have veggies.Click here to read the recipe.
- Rajma Chawal: Gluten-free & vegan. Super yum red kidney bean curry served with rice.Click here to see the recipe.
- Dal Makhni: Gluten-free.Creamy lentils cooked with some rajma.Click here to see the recipe.
- Sindhi Aani Basar:Gluten-free & vegan.Chickpea cutlets steamed and cooked in onion tomato gravy.Click here to see the recipe.
Top 5 rice recipes
- Curd rice: Daddojanam Andhra style or Thayir sadam.Simple easy curd rice.Click here to see the recipe.
- Lemon rice: Easy to use left over rice.Add a dash of lemons.Click here to see the recipe.
- Pulihora: Got only tamarind at home.No veggies no problem.Click here to see the recipe.
- Sindhi Pulao/Bhugge chawar: Needs only rice, frozen peas,onions and potatoes.Click here to see the recipe.
- Moong ware chawar: Split green lentils cooked with rice.Easy and healthy.Click here to see the recipe.
Top 5 bread recipes
- Rustic bread: Did't get bread in the market?Make your own no oil no knead bread.Click here to see the recipe.
- Besani: Gluten-free chickpea flour bread.Easy and super yummy.Click here to see the recipe.
- Homemade buns: Easy and super yum homemade pav or buns.Click here to see the recipe.
- Kali mirch ki koki: Got only pepper oil/ghee and flour.No worries.Click here to make this yum recipe.
- Sindhi Koki: Got some onion left.make a koki.Click here to see this yum recipe.
Top 5 sweet recipes(easy sweets with minimal ingredients)
- Karah Prasad: Simple and divine sweet.Aate ka halwa is always a favorite.Click here to see the recipe.
- Sooji Halwa: Semolina halwa.Simple yet super yum.Click here to see the recipe.
- Malpua: Quick Indian pancake.Click here to see the recipe.
- Nankhatai: Desi shortbread eggless cookies. Click here to see the recipe.
- Murmura laddoo: Got some puffed rice left after chiwda.Make a quick laddoo with jaggery or sugar.Click here to see the recipe.
Don't Panic,don't hoard.Stay safe and use your inventory wisely!