Achari Mathri recipe
Achari mathri is the best companion for tea time. It can be prepared by deep frying or cooking in air fryer
Servings: 12 people
Deep fry achari mathri
- 1 cup atta/wholemeal flour
- 1 cup maida/plain flour plain refined flour
- ¼ cup achar masala or left over pickle. add more if required
- Salt as per taste optional as pickle has enough salt
- Little water for kneading
- Oil for frying
Air fryer achari mathia
- 1.5 cup maida plain flour
- ½ cup oats flour
- 1.5 tablespoon flax seed meal with ⅓ cup water (optional)
- 1 tsp. salt optional as pickle has enough salt
- ⅓ cup water to knead, more if flax seed not used
- ⅓ cup achari masala use left over masala from any pickle.Add more as per taste
- 2 tablespoon oil only if achari masala does not have enough oil
Traditional method (frying)
Knead all the ingredients together in a bowl to make a medium-tight dough.
Take a small amount of dough and roll it with a rolling pin into thin flat crackers.
You may use a cookie cutter and cut the circles if you like even shape or use a sharp edged tiffin lid.
Prick the crackers so that they don't puff up while frying.
Heat oil and fry them crisp.
Ensure oil remains medium hot. If the oil goes cold, you may see some boils on the cracker. If it is very hot, your mathri will become soft.
Place the crackers on a tissue to soak extra oil.
In air fryer
Soak flax seed powder with water for 15 minutes. (you can skip the flax seeds if you do not have it,you will need little more water to knead the dough)Add the oil and pickle oil to plain flour,oats flour and salt. Mix it until you can combine the dough
Add flax seed mix,water to the mix.Add the achari masala to the mix.
Knead a medium tight dough by adding all ingredients to the bowl. You may knead by hand or use a stand mixer optionally.Take a small amount of dough and roll it into a big flatbread using a rolling pin.Use a cookie cutter to cut circles or any desired shape.
Pre heat the air fryer for 10 mins at 170 deg C.
Place all the mathri in the basket.
Cook the crackers for 14-15 mins at 170 deg C. Spray oil twice and flip it so that it is cooked evenly from all sides and are golden brown .
Store in a clean dry jar once it completely cools down.
- You can also refer to our pickle section if you do not have leftover masala.
Use the spices listed in our tasty mango pickle/mango chickpea pickle to make your own spice-oil mix.
- To make mathri only with whole wheat i.e. aata and avoid plain flour i.e. maida, add 1 teaspoon of semolina i.e.sooji and additional 1 tbsp. of ghee/oil to whole wheat flour while kneading it.
- Oat flour,flax seeds are just addition to the ingredient list to make it more nutritious,you may use any combination of plain flour/whole wheat flour
- For air fryer achari mathri, pricking is not required , you can also make thin/thick mathri as per your liking.