Lauki chana dal recipe
Lauki channa dal is an easy way of having veggies and lentils together.Wholesome dish,
For pressure cooking:
- ¼ cup Channa dal/Bengal gram soaked for 10 minutes in hot water
- 1 -½ cup Lauki ghia/bottle gourd (cut into ½ inch cubes)
- Pinch of turmeric powder
- ½ cup Water
For tomato gravy:
- 1 tablespoon oil
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- Pinch of Asafoetida Heeng(Optional, avoid if gluten-free)
- 2 Green chilies chopped finely
- ¾ cup/1 medium tomato
- Small piece finely chopped ginger/adrak
- Pinch of Turmeric powder/haldi
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder/lal mirch
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder/jeera
- ¼ teaspoon Garam masala
- Garnish: Cilantro leaves finely chopped
- Salt as per taste
Heat the oil in a pressure cooker. Add the cumin seeds and let it crackle. Add chopped onions, ginger and green chilies. Now, add a pinch of heeng if not gluten free at this stage. Stir for a few seconds.
Add the chopped tomatoes and salt and cook until it softens.
Add the soaked bengal gram, bottle gourd and spices, and one cup of water (adjust as needed to desired gravy thickness; bottle guard varies in moisture content).
Pressure cook it until soft for about fifteen minutes or unto 3 whistles.
Turn off the heat. Garnish with chopped cilantro once pressure releases.
Stir and cover the pan for a few minutes before serving with flat bread or brown rice.