Wholewheat Mawa gujiya recipe
Gujiya is a crispy flaky Indian crossiant with a filling of nuts mawa and raisins.
- ½ cup mawa you may use homemade mawa
- 1 teaspoon ghee
- ½ tablespoon khuskhus or poppy seeds
- ½ tablespoon sooji or semolina
- ½ tbsp. desiccated coconut/coconut flour
- 3 tbsp. Chopped nuts almond,walnuts and raisins 1 tbsp.each
- 3 tbsp. sugar powdered
- 1 cup atta or whole meal four
- 1 tbsp. sooji or semolina
- Pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon ghee/oil add 1 tablespoon more if using air fryer
- ½ cup water for kneading
- Oil for frying
Heat ghee in a pan, add mawa to it.
Once it is soft,add sooji(semolina) and khuskhus(poppy seeds)
Add coconut powder/flour ,turn off the heat
Add powdered sugar,nuts and mix,keep this aside
Mix flour,ghee,sooji and salt, knead into a semi soft dough,roll a piece of dough into round shape
Add the stuffing in half of the rolled dough,close in semicircle
Press from all sides,do not leave any open gaps
Start binding the edges
For deep fried Gujiya
Fry in oil on low heat, 2-3 at a time until golden brown
Keep them on a paper towel to absorb any excess oil
For air fried Gujiya
In a preheated air fryer (5 minutes) at 170C |340F, cook the gujiya for 14-15 minutes. Spray oil twice in between.If using whole wheat flour, cook for 16-17 minutes or until they sound hollow.
Store these in an air tight container.
To get more crispy gujiya if you are using an air fryer, you can opt to use the plain flour (maida) instead of wholemeal flour. Refer to the recipe here for Baked namak para.Use the dough as used in this recipe.