Thandai is the traditional drink for Holi and Mahashivratri. You can make the powder before hand and store it in an airtight container to enjoy with a glass of chilled milk anytime.This recipe for thandai powder that can be used with 2 litres of milk. You may prepare the powder in the required quantity.
Servings: 8 people
Thandai spice mix:
- 1 tablespoon ‘saunf’ or fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon ‘khuskhus’ or poppy seeds optional
- 1 piece ‘dalchini’ or cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ‘jaiphal’ or nutmeg powder
- 8-10 white peppercorns optional
- 1 teaspoon elaichi powder or cardamom powder
- ½ cup almonds Soaked overnight or in hot water for 2 hours.Peeled
- ½ cup cashews
- ¼ cup pistachios
- ¼ cup rose petals
- 2 ltr milk
- 8-10 strands of ‘kesar’ or saffron
- Sugar as per taste
How to make thandai Masala powder
Toast the spices in a pan and let it cool.
Grind the spices for the thandai powder.
Grind the nuts with rose petals.
Mix both the nut and spice powder and grind again. Store in an air-tight container.
The thandai masala can be kept in an air tight container in the fridge/freezer for a longer term.
Once the thandai has been mixed with powder then it needs to be consumed within the next 12 hours.