Air fried Modak recipe
Air fried modak is the low oil version of traditional fried modak recipe. Making it in air fryer makes it low oil and yet retains the taste.
- ¼ cup jaggery/ palm sugar /gur
- 1 cup fresh shredded coconut
- 1 tbsp. poppy seeds/khuskhus /khuskhus
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg powder /jaiphal optional
- ¼ teaspoon cardamom powder /elaichi optional
- 1 teaspoon oil /ghee if vegetarian
Air fried Modak covering/pastry
- ¾ cup plain flour /maida
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour /atta
- 1.5 tbsp. semolina /sooji
- 3 tbsp. oil
- ½ cup water (little more than)
- pinch of salt
For the filling
Heat 1 teaspoon oil and add jaggery to it , in a frying pan till it starts to melt.
Add the poppy seeds, nutmeg powder, cardamom powder and cook for few minutes.
Add shredded coconut to jaggery and mix well. Cook for 5 minutes. Keep it aside to cool.
In a bowl, add all the dry ingredients for the pastry along with oil.
Slowly add water to knead a medium stiff dough.
Cover it and keep it aside for 30 minutes.
Divide it into small balls and roll them into small circles of equal size using a rolling pin.
Add 1 tbsp. filling to each of these dough circles and hold it in your palm.
Fold the edges of each modak, slowly between fingers and close their loop, by slowly rotating it( like you would do for any dumpling).
Air fry the modaks for 10 min at 190 deg C and 10-12 mins at 170 C | 340 F. Spray oil every 5 mins.