There is nothing better than rustic bread. It goes well with both a hot soup or cold preserve. Baking it at home gives it an extra edge. You can work with different herbs. Use different seasonings and .It is a hit with people of all age groups. I can eat bread with anything. Be it soup, butter, marmalade and even left-over curry. I love the smell of good loaf of bread. However, most bread or buns need a lot of kneading. The below recipe is for baking on a lazy day. This recipe is also oil-free and eggless. Thus making it vegan. Best part is, it helps you save some dime and eat healthy too. This no knead bread recipe is what I make nowadays whenever I am looking to make bread a home.
Does bread need oil?
With addition of oil in bread, it allows to slice the bread evenly. It is possible to make bread without any oil, however this bread will not be as soft as the bread with oil. You can never go wrong with bread It is simple and easy to cook. You can just let it bake and go about doing other stuff. Add various herbs like garlic, thyme, rosemary and make your own variety. I love a good loaf of bread. There is something magical about a fresh loaf straight out of oven. Baking is a great stress buster.
How to bake a perfect brown bread?
Bake this bread in a cast iron pan. Results are phenomenal. Crust comes out evenly brown. You can bake it over a pizza stone as well. Whole wheat bread is healthy as it contains more fiber than white bread. Though this bread contains maida (all purpose flour), still this is similar to whole wheat bread since the addition of flax seeds balances the fiber content and is similar to that of a whole wheat bread.
- Cast iron pan
- Flax seeds
How to make rustic bread?
- Activate the yeast by adding dry yeast to lukewarm water and a spoonful of sugar. Keep it aside until its frothy.
2. Mix flax seed powder with water.
3. Now mix all the ingredients in a mixing bowl except rye flour.
4. Let it rise for 1 hour.
5. Punch the dough down on a clean surface and mix this with rye flour.
6. Shape it as per your choice.
7. Mark incisions using a knife. Let it rise for 45 mins- 1 hour.
8. Preheat the oven along with a tin containing 2 cups of water.
9. Cook in a preheated oven at 220 deg C for 15-20 mins.
Rustic bread - No knead,oil bread recipe
- cast iron pan
For yeast activation:
- 2 teaspoon yeast
- ½ teaspoon sugar with ½ cup water
- 2 tablespoon flax seed with ¾ cup water
- 1 cup wholemeal flour/atta
- 1.5 cup plain flour/maida
- ½ cup rye flour including 2 tablespoon for dusting the pan replace with plain flour if you do not have this
- ⅓ cup water
- Mix the flax seed meal with ¾ cup water and keep it aside.
- Add sugar to lukewarm water, mix until it dissolves. Add yeast to sugar water, so that it activates. This will make the mix frothy and activate in 15 minutes.
- Add this yeast and flax seed mix to the flour with salt.
- Start mixing the dough while adding the remaining water.The dough needs to be a little wet and sticky, this will help the bread to rise and come out with a soft texture.
- Cover and leave the dough to rise for 1 hour.
- Punch the dough down and spread it out on a clean surface and add the rye flour to the dough.
- Shape the dough in a any desired shape and place it in a dusted tin.
- Make incisions using a sharp knife,Let it rise for 45 min/1 hour
- Pre heat an oven at 220 deg C(fan forced) with another tin that has 2 cups of water(this will help the bread get a good crust)
- Bake at 220 deg C for 15-20 mins.
- Check the readiness, by knocking on the top of the bread, if it sounds hollow then it is ready.
- Turn off the oven, let the bread cool on a wire grill.
Click here to see more bread recipes.
Also click here to see more recipe videos.