Deep fried smashed potatoes is a great side dish. It is a perfect way to have your spuds when you want something good. However, my interest steers towards air fryer baked potatoes nowadays. This easy smashed potatoes recipe is low in calories too as it is not deep fried but air fried. Air fryer smashed potatoes are perfect when you want to have your fries or wedges or air fryer breakfast potatoes but there is no time to soak them for hours for that perfect crisp. Most people love to have potato starters at any super bowl or during IPL matches. This is an easy starter which your family will love too. You can choose medium sized potatoes or baby potatoes or mini potatoes to make these crispy smashed baby potatoes in the airfryer.
This recipe surprisingly resembles Sindhi aloo tuk so much. Aloo & Arbi tuk is one of the easiest and most loved Sindhi recipes.I am sure it is going to be quite a hit in your kitchen too. Pair it with any simple dal chawal or Sindhi kadhi and it is just gonna uplift your mood so much more. Here is to all potato lovers rejoice my friends!
This vegan gluten-free air fryer crispy potato recipe is gonna bring much joy to you! Read below the recipe for crispy air fryer smashed potatoes that can be made with simple ingredients from the pantry.
There are other recipes that you can make with potato in the airfryer such as fingerling fries, air fryer Potato skins , air fryer Potato chips or air fryer potato cheese balls. You may also use the air fryer to cook frozen snacks such as pizza pockets, spring rolls, frozen pizza ,frozen samosa or reheat leftover fries and leftover pizza in the airfryer.
- Air fryer
- Potato masher
- Pastry brush
Refer to recipe card below for exact quantities and full recipe .
- Potatoes - I prefer potatoes that are small in size(around 60-70 grams/piece). Russet potatoes are good for roasting. Here in Australia, we prefer using local variety like Royal dutch cream/ Red royal / purple. Recently I have tried king edward and they were awesome too. Choosing a good quality potato is an important tip for making smashed potatoes crispy. Yukon gold is another varies that can be used to make crispy smashed potatoes. Larger potatoes required more time to cook(around 5-7 minutes more than the smaller or medium potatoes)
- Oil ( I prefer extra virgin olive oil )
- Seasoning (any store bought seasoning, or just garlic powder/ minced garlic and salt)
How to make smashed potatoes in air fryer?
- Wash the whole potatoes thoroughly in cold water to remove the dirt from the skin.
- Heat water in a large pot , Boil potatoes until soft. Even if the skin cracks, they are fine to be used.Allow them to cool for some time. Place potatoes on a tray or cutting board .
- Smash them slightly using potato masher or a flat spatula.(if you find that while smashing them they breaking very badly (like powdering out), allow them to cool at room temperature for some time). You can also use the flat bottom of a glass to smash them.
- Brush 1 tbsp. oil on top of them.(1 tbsp. in total for all potatoes.)
- Preheat the air fryer for 10 mins at 200 deg C (390F). Place the smashed potatoes in air fryer basket in a single layer
- Air fry the potatoes for 10-12 mins at 200 deg C ( 390 F).
- In a small bowl, add 2 tbsp. oil and seasoning and mix well with a spoon.
- Brush the potatoes with oil mixture using a pastry brush. Air fry for 8 mins again or until they are golden brown . Garnish with garlic chives or fresh parsley optionally.
Serve crispy smashed potatoes in air fryer hot with tomato ketchup.
- You can use any variety of potato to make this recipe including sweet potatoes. Although the cooking time will vary according to the variety used.
- Small potatoes take less time to cook in compared to bigger potatoes.
- You can use baby potatoes to make baby smashed potatoes recipe.
- You can use fresh garlic and butter to make garlic butter smashed potatoes. Smells divine!
- You can also use an oven to make easy oven smashed potatoes. The cooking time will be more. generally oven takes 30% more time to cook baked smashed potatoes as compared to an air fryer.
- Use above recipe and sprinkle generous amount of pizza cheese on top & bake them for 10 mins, to make your own delish batch of cheesy smashed potatoes
- You can use fresh rosemary or dried rosemary to make rosemary smashed potatoes. Use ground black pepper or red pepper flakes to add the heat to this recipe.
- You can use red potatoes to make these roasted smashed red potatoes.
- You can add parmesan cheese on top of the potatoes and cook for 2-3 minutes for a perfect side dish.
- You can use any seasoning you like. Some great vegan options are Cajun, Moroccan seasoning, Sriracha and garam masala.
- Another combination that I like is onion powder with garlic powder.
- You can add some butter or vegan butter at the end of the cook for an awesome flavor.
- You can
- This air frying recipe is very similar to a Sindhi recipe 'aloo tuk' and hence I would follow the same steps if I am looking to make aloo tuk in air fryer.
You can store any leftover smashed potatoes in an airtight container. Before serving, pre heat the airfryer and cook these smashed potatoes for 3-4 minutes .
Related air fryer recipes
Air fryer smashed potatoes recipe | air fried smashed potatoes recipe
- potato masher
- pastry brush
- Wash the potatoes thoroughly to remove the dirt from the skin.
- Boil/steam potatoes until soft. Even if the skin cracks, they are fine to be used.allow them to cool for some time.
- Smash them slightly using potato masher or a flat spatula.(if you find that while smashing them they breaking very badly (like powdering out), allow them to cool for some time)
- Brush 1 tbsp. oil on top of them.(1 tbsp. in total for all potatoes.)
- Preheat the air fryer for 10 mins at 200 deg C (390F). Place the smashed potatoes in air fryer basket.
- Air fry the potatoes for 12 mins at 200 deg C ( 390 F).
- In a bowl, add 2-3 tbsp. oil and seasoning and mix well with a spoon.
- Brush the potatoes with seasoning using a pastry brush. Air fry for 8 minutes again. Garnish with garlic chives optionally. Serve hot with tomato ketchup.
Check with a metal skewer in the middle once the potatoes are boiled. If it goes through perfectly without any resistance, you can go ahead and smash it.
Mashed potatoes are boiled until soft and tender. We mash them after removing their skins and mixed with sour cream, milk or cream to get a soft creamier texture. Smashed potatoes on the other hand are toasted in oil and spices and seasoning. They are crispy and have skins on.
I prefer to use brushed potatoes instead of washed potatoes to make these quick smashed potatoes recipe.
- The air fryer has to be pre heated
- Choose potatoes that are long in shape not round and are good for roasting, I prefer russet one, here in Australia I use Royal dutch cream/purple/royal blue
- Once cooked, use a spatula to pick them up, else they will break.
Always reheat your left overs.
Bohemian Vegetarian says
I love the simplicity of this. Let the potato flavor come through!
bhavana bhatia says
Yep me too. Thanks for your feedback.