Vegan jackfruit sliders or jackfruit sloppy joes is an easy recipe for working parents. This is one of the easiest of jackfruit in brine recipes. Here, instead of making a patty, curry is smeared over buns and eaten with coleslaw or salad in it. Green jackfruit or kathal is a great alternative to meat. Green and young jackfruit is used to make curries and pickles as it is savory. Yellow ripe jackfruit is used in kheer or puddings or eaten as is.
It grows in abundance and is quite filling. I remember it growing at our friend Dinoo didi's garden and she would always bring it for us. Another favorite memory is all the jackfruit chips in Kerala chips center and local vendors cutting it and selling in markets in Mumbai. It would save time for all the fast paced Mumbai life. Some memories always stay with you.
I love vegan jackfruit recipes. Whether it is a meaty kathal curry or that amazing jackfruit biryani. I have always loved it. My MIL makes an delicious jackfruit pickle. It is really finger-licking good! If you would like to try it, here is the recipe. It is just out of the world!
Jackfruit is not easily available at my local market in Melbourne. Hence, I love using canned jackfruit for these recipes. It also saves time as cutting jackfruit is quite an art. You need to oil the knife and cut it when hot. One must also ensure the sap doesn't stick to your hands.
- Mandolin slicer/ Grater
- Grill pan/ Tawa /skillet for buns
- red onion medium
- garlic clove crushed
- cans jackfruit in brine
- soya sauce
- tomato sauce or use any vegan barbeque sauce
- chipotle seasoning
Vegan cole slaw
- grated carrots
- pickled cabbage or fresh cabbage
- spinach or any greens
- vegan mayonnaise refer to this link for vegan tofu mayo
How to make vegan coleslaw?
- Take the freshly chopped ingredients in a bowl.
- Add the vegan mayo and toss the coleslaw.
How to make barbeque sauce?
- Mix tomato sauce along with chipotle seasoning and paprika. You may also use any vegan barbeque sauce from the market if you like a readymade sauce.
How to make vegan jackfruit sliders?
2. Take the canned jackfruit ,discard the brine.
3. Shred it using a form, removing any hard bits.
4. Heat oil in a pan. Add onions and garlic to it. Sauté until onion turns pink. Generally takes 2-4 mins.
5. Add the shredded jackfruit with salt and cook over medium heat. Let it cook for 5 minutes.
6. Add the sauce mix with water. Let it cook on medium heat.
7. Add soya sauce and mix well. Let it simmer until water evaporates. Turn off the heat.
- Heat sourdough buns on the grill. Add a topping of pulled jack fruit along with fresh coleslaw.
Vegan jackfruit sliders | Vegan sloppy joes recipe
- Grater or mandolin slicer
- grill pan or skillet for buns
- 2 tbsp. oil
- 1 red onion medium
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 2 cans jackfruit in brine
- 2 tbsp. soya sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon Salt or as per taste
- ⅓ cup tomato sauce or use any vegan barbeque sauce
- 2 tbsp. chipotle seasoning
- 1 tbsp. paprika
Vegan bbq sauce
- Mix tomato sauce along with chipotle seasoning and paprika.
- Take the freshly chopped ingredients in a bowl
- Add vegan mayo and toss the coleslaw.
Vegan jackfruit pulled pork
- Take the canned jackfruit ,discard the brine.
- Shred it using a form, removing any hard bits.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add onions and garlic to it. Sauté until onion turns pink. Generally takes 2-4 mins.
- Add the shredded jackfruit along with salt and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the sauce mix with water. Let it cook on medium heat.
- Add soya sauce and mix well. Let it simmer until water evaporates. Turn off the heat.
- Heat sourdough buns on the grill. Add a topping of pulled jackfruit along with fresh coleslaw.
Trivia: Some people also call jackfruit sliders as vegan pulled pork sliders. I don't eat meat so no idea about pork, but I m much happy eating vegan slider any day.
You can use any sauce instead of soya sauce like sriracha for extra spice and vegan barbecue sauce or dijon mustard. Adjust spices accordingly.
Adjust the spice in jackfruit mash according to your taste. You may add any seasoning as per your choice if you do not have chipotle handy. Add more chili powder if you like it hot.
Store the mash separately in refrigerator.
Always serve after heating the mash and buns on the grill pan.
Milk and jackfruit cannot be taken together as per Ayurveda as it can cause indigestion and skin diseases. Instead pair it with some easy vegan soups.
It can cause drowsiness.
It is rich in fiber and Vitamin C. It is also high in protein and low in carbs so can be included in keto diet.
A cook named Joe added some tomato sauce to loose meat sandwiches and served it in 1930 in Iowa, hence came the name Sloppy Joes. Sloppy joes are also referred to as Spanish hamburgers in north.