Rajasthani cuisine has a lot of flavor.This cuisine has a huge dependency on lentils,ghee,yogurt and spices.Dal Bati Churma,Mirchi bada,Pyaaz ki kachori,Gatte ki kadhi.The list is endless.
In the olden days,vegetables, water and fruits were scarce. Rajasthan is primarily Thar desert and has less vegetation.Thus, recipes involves using less veggies and water.Use of local grains and spices adds to the charm of the desert.You get various local recipes like ker sangri which is found nowhere else.
Dal Baati Choorma is a special dish for a Sunday brunch.We serve baati or roasted dough balls along with dal and chuurma.Traditionally it is cooked in a chulha over coal.Nowadays, you can make dal bati without oven. It is quite similar to Dal Bafla and Litti chokha.
Is Dal baati different from Litti Chokha ?
Litti is stuffed with sattu flour a cereal mix, very popular in Bihar. Chokha is made of brinjal mash.Both dal baati and Litti chokha are eaten in a similar fashion.Litti and bati both are crushed and mixed with loads of ghee.Chokha/dal is poured over it.
However,nowadays you can also make bati in microwave oven.
Dal baati ki dal is also a speciality in itself.Panchmel dal or Panchratna dal is a combination of 5 lentils.This Dal has a great flavor due to varied textures.Churma is a sweet coarse powder of few dough balls.
It is also similar to Dal Bafla in MP and Litti chokha or Bihar.
Can we make dal bati churma recipe in oven ?
Traditionally, the bati is cooked on coal/wood. The closest we can get to cooking the bati in traditional method in the modern days is on a grill/barbeque. You can also cook it in a convection oven, however you will have to intervene a few times so that they can be cooked from all sides.
Step by step pictures of Baati
1.Knead the dough with warm water
2.Shape into balls,keep aside
3. Cook them on a grill or in a oven
4.Take them off the grill once they are brown from sides and crack open
Step by Step pictures of Mixed Dal
1.Take mixed dal and soak them in water
2. Cook them with water,tomatoes,salt and turmeric
3.Cook ginger,garlic,chillies with cumin
4.Add onion and cook until golden brown
5.Mash the boiled dal
6.Add onion mix to the dal.
Scroll below to read the recipe dal bati churma
Dal Baati Churma
- 4 cup wholewheat flour/aata
- 1 cup Semolina/Sooji
- 1/2 cup Clarified butter/ghee
- 1 tsp Carom seeds/ajwain
- 1/4 tsp Baking soda
- Salt as per taste
- Use 2 bati made from above mixture.
- 2-3 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp ghee
- 1/4 cup lentil each urad,tuvar,masur,mung,channa
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tbsp oil
- Pinch of heeng or asafoetida
- 1 onion large chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger- garlic chopped
- 2-3 green chillies
- 2 large tomatoes chopped
- Salt as per taste
- Knead the dough with warm water and a little stiff consistency.
- Keep it covered for 30 mins.
- Divide the dough in 18-20 portions of round balls.
- Cook baati on a grill until cracks appear and all sides looked cooked.
- In a preheated oven, it would take 20-25 minutes at 180 degree C. You will need to rotate the bati after 10 minutes so that they are cooked from all sides.
- Once the baati is cooked, break it into pieces.Add few spoonfuls of ghee.
- Serve it with mixed dal.
For the dal(brief steps)
- Pressure cook your choice of dal/lentils with spices and salt.Keep it aside.
- In a pan,heat oil,add ginger-garlic and chillies.
- Add onions and salt.Cook till rawness disappears.
- Now add chopped tomatoes and cook until they soften.
- Add boiled dal to this mix.
- Garnish with coriander. Serve hot
For choorma (quick option)
- Use the above bati(2 bati).
- Break into small pieces.Add 2-3 tsp. of sugar and 2 tsp. of ghee.
- Process in a food processor.
- Serve on room temperature.
Also,click here to see more recipe videos from our channel "Secondrecipe".