Rajasthan is a land of valor and romance. It is a place very close to my heart. While people love it for its palaces, it has a special mention for foodies. The cuisine has a lot of flavor and color. People also use a lot of millets instead of rice and wheat. Lentils, ghee, yogurt and spices give it a yellowish red hue. Dal Bati churma, mirchi bada, pyaz ki kachori, gatte ki kadhi, ghevar, ker sangri, lal maas, safed maas, bajre ka khichda. The list is endless and yum. In the olden days, vegetables, water and fruits were scarce. Rajasthan is primarily Thar desert and has less vegetation. Thus, recipes involves using less veggies and water. Use of local grains and spices adds to the charm of the desert.
This is a special dish for a Sunday brunch. We serve bati or roasted dough balls along with dal and churma. Nowadays, you can make it in an oven. It is quite similar to Dal Bafla and Litti chokha.
Is Dal baati different from Litti Chokha ?
Litti is stuffed with sattu flour a cereal mix, very popular in Bihar. Chokha is made of brinjal mash. Both dal baati and Litti chokha are eaten in a similar fashion.
How do we eat it?
Litti and bati both are crushed and mixed with loads of ghee. Chokha/dal is poured over it. Pickled onions lemon and green chilly are served along with the meal. Nowadays, you can also make bati in microwave oven.
Dal is also a specialty in itself. Panchmel or Panchratna dal is a combination of 5 lentils-urad, tuvar, masoor, moong and chana. This has a great flavor due to varied textures. Churma is a sweet coarse powder of few dough balls. It is also similar to Dal Bafla in MP and Litti chokha or Bihar.
how to make dal bati churma in oven?
Traditionally, we make the bati on coal/wood. The closest we can get to cooking the bati in traditional method in the modern days is on a grill/barbecue. You can also cook it in a convection oven. Just ensure you cook it from all sides.
How to make dal bati churma ?
Step for bati
- Mix all the ingredients for bati in a bowl.
2. Knead into a semi hard dough with warm water.
3. Line them in a baking tray. Cook at 160-170 degree C(fan forced) or at 180 degree. Alternatively, you may cook them on a grill.
4. Take them off the grill/oven once they are brown from sides and crack open. Keep few asides for churma.
5. Cook them on a grill over a flame, for just a second or 2.
6. Brush them with ghee before serving.
Steps for churma
- Crack few of the bati from above steps.
2. Coarsely grind them with ghee and sugar . Serve fresh.
How to make Panchratna dal?
- Take mixed dal and soak them in water.
- Cook them with water, tomatoes, salt and turmeric.
3. Cook ginger, garlic, chilies with cumin.
4. Add onion and cook until golden brown.
5. Mash the boiled dal using a masher.
6. Add onion mix to the dal and let it come to a boil.
Read the dal bati churma recipe below
Dal Baati Churma
- 4 cup wholewheat flour/aata
- 1 cup Semolina/Sooji
- ½ cup Clarified butter/ghee
- 1 teaspoon Carom seeds/ajwain
- ¼ teaspoon Baking soda
- Salt as per taste
- Use 2 bati made from above mixture.
- 2-3 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoon ghee
- Knead the dough with warm water and a little stiff consistency.
- Keep it covered for 30 mins.
- Divide the dough in 18-20 portions of round balls.
- Cook baati on a grill until cracks appear and all sides looked cooked.
- In a preheated oven, it would take 20-25 minutes at 180 degree C. You will need to rotate the bati after 10 minutes so that they are cooked from all sides.
- Once the baati is cooked, break it into pieces.Add few spoonfuls of ghee.
- Serve it with mixed dal.
For the dal(brief steps)
- Pressure cook your choice of dal/lentils with spices and salt.Keep it aside.
- In a pan,heat oil,add ginger-garlic and chillies.
- Add onions and salt.Cook till rawness disappears.
- Now add chopped tomatoes and cook until they soften.
- Add boiled dal to this mix.
- Garnish with coriander. Serve hot
For choorma (quick option)
- Use the above bati(2 bati).
- Break into small pieces.Add 2-3 tsp. of sugar and 2 tsp. of ghee.
- Process in a food processor.
- Serve on room temperature.
Try these Rajasthani recipes for that royal experience
Also, click here to see more recipe videos from our channel "Secondrecipe".