Who does not love the French fries in an air fryer? Yes, the ones which are BAKED & not the fried French fries !!! I think crispy French fries is the first air fryer recipes that everyone wants to make.
Yes, its true!!! homemade French fries in the air fryer are bit more healthier than deep-fried version. Yes, junk food can be made equally tasty and healthy too. Just go through these tips below and you can enjoy this guilt-free version of French fries at home anytime. Every movie, football, cricket match becomes extra special with friends and family 🙂
I must say cooking has become much easier with air fryer recipes. We've got all the potato dishes you could ever want - vegan hasselback potatoes , mashed potato cakes, and homemade tater tots. Other notable air fryer potato recipes are air fried jacket potatoes,baby potatoes in air fryer, accordion potatoes air fryer, vegan hashbrowns in airfryer, diced potatoes in air fryer, air fryer carrots and potatoes, & Shoestring fries in air fryer
Ninja air fryer oven French fries are a perfect way to make kids happy and worry less too. If you feel time is less, you can still have air fryer frozen french fries. Also, always preheat your air fryer. I always find ninja air fryer French fries awesome!
- Top tip
- What kind of potatoes are used for homemade potato chips?
- How to cook french fries in air fryer ?
- Instructions (prep)
- how to make French fries in air fryer?
- How to make fries in an oven ?
- More chips please?
- homemade french fries in an air fryer | air fryer French fries recipe
One of the secret to make the best air fryer French fries, is soaking the raw potatoes in cold water in a large mixing bowl 3-4 hours, before you start baking them. This will remove some of the excess starch. Thus, you get best results and less soggy fries. Lesser the starch, more you get the crispness while air frying French fries. These potato fingers will delight you and surprise you!
- mandolin slicer / sharp knife
- potatoes washed and peeled
- olive oil
- sea salt
- Spice mix (Chipotle spice mix/ morocco spice mix or you may just use dried oregano/herbs/garlic)
Refer to recipe card for details.
This is the chipotle seasoning I have bought from the store here in Australia.
What kind of potatoes are used for homemade potato chips?
Choosing the correct variety of potato is the most important step in this recipe.The varieties that work well include the following.
- Russet potatoes
- Yukon Gold potatoes
- Kind Edward
- Royal Dutch cream
- Royal blue / Purple
Depending on where you live, you will find one variety or other.) I have tried with Russet, King Edward, Dutch cream, Royal blue and all of them were good .The best result was with Russet and Kind Edward potatoes.
If you do not want to go through the hassle, then a simpler option is to get the frozen fries and cook them in the air fryer. Refer to our recipe here.
How to cook french fries in air fryer ?
- Cut the fries little thin about ¼ inch wide. Slice the whole potato lengthwise and then slice each piece of the potato again into fries. After slicing, soak the fries in cold water for 3-4 hours, which in turn ensures fries end up being crispy when getting baked in the air fryer.
- Try not to crowd the fries on the pan. Ensure that they have a bit of space in between each other. This will ensure they are baked even and well.. Enjoy 🙂
- Take the best 'floury' potatoes. Avoid the new potatoes. We have used Dutch cream / Russet/King Edward variety of potatoes in the recipe.
2. Peel the potatoes. You may choose to use them unpeeled as well. Just wash well.
3. Cut in the desired shaped. Soak them in cold water for 3-4 hour. Add few ice cubes if you like.
Top tip: You can make it without soaking too. However, soaking cut potatoes in a large bowl of cold water results in crispier fries.
4. Drain the water from the potatoes, dry the potato sticks using a paper tissue.
5.Toss the fries with 1 tbsp. oil (no ,salt/seasoning now).
how to make French fries in air fryer?
6. To make the fries in the air fryer. Place them in the tray in a single layer in the preheated air fryer. You may need to cook them in batches in the air fryer basket.
7. Cook these for 10 minutes at 200C,stirring once/twice in between
8. Mix the seasoning with 1 tablespoon olive oil in a bowl
9. Toss the semi cooked fries in the seasoning.
10. Continue to cook at 200C for 8-10 minutes or until you get the desired crispness, of your air fryer fries.
Serve golden brown crispy fries with your favorite dipping sauces like tomato sauce and bbq sauce immediately.
Sometimes I like to just a simple recipe. make the plain French fries with just basic ingredients like oil and salt. You may add black pepper if you like.
Follow the exact same process as above and just use the plain salt instead of spices.
It is still delicious side dish. Serve these homemade fries with some vegan air fryer hamburgers.
How to make fries in an oven ?
For baked French fries recipe, follow the same steps as above for the prep. Just bake them in the oven for 22-25 minutes at 200C(fan forced)
Store the leftover fries in an air tight container and you can reheat the fries later.
More chips please?
homemade french fries in an air fryer | air fryer French fries recipe
- or oven if not using air fryer
- mandolin slicer
For potato fries in air fryer
- Using a slicer, slice the potatoes or use cut them into wedges any shape.
- Take a pot filled with water. Leave the potato slices in it for 3-4 hours.
- Drain the water from the potatoes. Dry the potato sticks using a paper tissue.
- Toss the fries with 1 tablespoon oil (no salt/seasoning now).
- To make the fries in the air fryer, place them in the tray in a single layer in the preheated air fryer. You may need to cook them in batches.
- Cook these for 10 minutes at 200C,stirring once/twice in between.
- Mix the seasoning with 1 tablespoon olive oil in a bowl. Toss the semi cooked fries in the seasoning.
- Continue to cook at 200C for 8-10 minutes or until you get the desired crispness. Serve immediately.
For potato fries in oven
- Follow the same steps as above for the prep. Make home baked fries in the oven for 22-25 minutes at 200C(fan forced).
Improper handling of starch causes soggy chips
I prefer to cook at 200C/390F
Preheat the air fryer for 2 minutes at 180C|355F. Air fry them again for 5 minutes.
Conclusion: Air frying helps you achieve crispy homemade air fryer French fries, with a fraction of the oil of regular fries.