Most of us love a good kofta curry.. I love all kinds of kofte..Lauki/ghia, paneer,malai kofta,nargis kofta,vegetable kofta,cabbage kofta. However, I do understand how much it sets me back on my diet plan. Once a while any kofta curry is good for you, but what happens when you have guests coming over almost every weekend. You do not want to treat them to same curries. So here is a kofta curry which is different, Mushroom Kofta .Mushroom vegan dumplings in a curry and this is not a creamy curry, but a vegan gluten-free one. This desi mushroom recipe is easy on tummy. Usually, mushroom recipes are fairly simple.Put them on an avo toast, on a pizza slice, in a curry or have them scrambled. This vegan ball recipe is a gravy full of yummy flavor.
Vegan foodie and real food
I love my heavy malai kofta which is my go to curry,at almost every party,family dinner or team outings at restaurants but managing weight is always a constant struggle for any foodie.Hence, I decided to cut down my dairy intake and slowly inch towards being a vegan.Luckily, we grew up on food which is mostly plant based.Thankfully being a vegetarian in India does not include eggs unlike the west, but it does contain dairy.Most Indian recipes can be made vegan if no dairy fat (ghee or paneer or curd/buttermilk) is added.
This recipe is similar to traditional recipe but less time taking.Also,you need no cottage cheese. Most mushroom recipes are simple and easy.It is also lower in calories. One cup paneer roughly has 350 calories while fried mushrooms only has only 150.
How to make mushroom kofta?
Read mushroom kofta recipe:
- 2 cup boiled potatoes
- 7-8 mushrooms boiled until soft
- ½ cup coriander leaves chopped
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- For frying Kofta: 2 cups oil
- 1 cup onion sliced
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic,chillies
- 1-½ cup tomatoes chopped
- ¼ cup cashews
- 3 tbsp oil for curry Adjust if reqd
- 1 tbsp dhaniya or coriander powder
- 1 tsp jeera or cumin powder
- 1 tsp haldi or turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp soup stock I use vegeta or massel but this is optional
- Salt as per taste
- Mix chopped mushrooms,potatoes and bread crumbs.
- Add half of the spices(red chilly powder,coriander powder),salt and chopped coriander.
- Mash well and roll it into equal sized small balls.
- Heat oil in a wok/kadai.
- Add the kofta balls one by one.
- Fry them until golden brown.
- Keep it aside.
For the curry:
- Heat oil in a pan and add onions,ginger,garlic cloves.
- Cover and cook for 2 minutes until soft.
- Add chopped tomatoes and salt.
- Cook till tomatoes soften, mixing with a spatula.
- Add cashews to the gravy.
- Add stock powder and mix well.
- Cook for 5 minutes.
- Blend the gravy with 1 cup water.
- Heat the gravy ,along with koftas.
- Garnish with coriander.
- Serve with rice or roti or any flat bread.
Tip 1: Add some oil to your palms, when mashing and rolling the koftas,to avoid mixture from sticking to them. Tip 2: Once fried,place the kofta on tissue paper to reduce excessive oil. Tip 3:If you do not have stock powder,you may some stock of boiled vegetables.Adjust salt accordingly.
Kofte & roti recipe anyone? eat them all.
Goes perfectly with
- Tandoori roti(no tandoor)