Malai kofta curry is yum and delicious.It is one of the most ordered recipes at any restaurant.People love eating out and they want gravies which even kids can eat.If you are not allergic to nuts or vegan,it is one of the best curries ever!!
What is malai kofta?
Ingredients are simple.The stuffing consists of the inner stuffing of dry fruits(with coconut and cream).The outer layer of boiled potato and starch(potato/cornflour/tapioca).You can also add paneer or cottage cheese to it..Bring the gravy to a boil and add the kofta to make the shahi kofta.
If you want to make a vegan version you can try mushroom kofta.
This recipe is very special to me.The very mention of this gravy transports me back to my childhood.Memories of yummy food at roadside dhaba en route to Delhi.Recreating this dish for a special dinner makes me smile always.
What goes with malai kofta?
This is a creamy curry perfect with naan or Tandoori roti.You can make a yellow or a white gravy as per your choice.
Below recipe is with yellow gravy.
Can you freeze Malai kofta curry?
Yes, you can fry kofta in advance and store it in an airtight container in freezer.Make a fresh gravy and add kofta to it.Serve with roti of your choice.This saves time on the day of party.
Also,you are always ready to serve a good meal.
How to make kofta?
Scroll below to read the Malai Kofta recipe
Malai Kofta- creamy veggie cheese balls
- 2 large boiled potatoes 500 grm
- ¼ cup dry fruits raisins,cashews
- 3 tbsp cornflour/arrowroot powder/tapioca starch
- 1 tbsp coriander/dhania
- ½ tbsp turmeric/haldi
- 1 tbsp chilli powder/lal mirch
- Salt as per taste
- Oil for frying
- 1 cup onion sliced
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic,chillies
- 1-1/2 cup tomatoes chopped
- 1/4 cup cashews
- 3 tbsp oil for curry Adjust if reqd
- 1/2 tsp turmeric/haldi
- 1/2 tbsp cumin powder/jeera powder
- 1 tbsp coriander powder/dhania powder
- 2 tsp red chilli powder/lal mirch
- 1 tbsp dried fenugreek leaves/kasuri methi optional
- Pinch of stock powder massel/vegeta optional
- Salt as per taste
- Mash boiled potatoes.
- Add the spices(red chilly powder,coriander powder),salt and cornflour.
- Mix well.
- Roll it into equal sized small balls and add small stuffing of dry fruits in the middle.
- Heat oil in a wok/kadai.
- Add the kofta balls one by one.
- Fry them until golden brown.
- Keep it aside.
For the curry:
- Heat oil in a pan and add onions,ginger,garlic cloves.
- Cover and cook for 2 minutes until soft.
- Add chopped tomatoes and salt.
- Cook till tomatoes soften, mixing with a spatula.
- Add cashews to the gravy.
- Add stock powder and mix well.
- Cook for 5 minutes.
- Blend the gravy with 1 cup water.
- Heat the gravy ,along with koftas.
- Garnish with coriander
- Serve with rice or roti or any flat bread.
Click here to see more kofta recipes.
Also, click here to see more recipe videos from our channel "Secondrecipe".