Sabudana khichdi is a very popular and simple breakfast. We make it from 'Sabudana' or sago pellets. It is made from tapioca root or cassava. We eat it during period of long fasting taken up for any religious reasons. In these cases, a person might avoid traditional grains like rice and wheat. This is fairly simple dish to cook. It has a mix of both carbohydrates(in sago)and proteins in peanuts. It is also gluten-free. Sago keeps you full for long and is generally taken as one time meal. You may even make it without the nuts and add some pomegranate seeds to it. Looks colourful and appeals even those with nut allergies.This dish is very popular in western India. It is widely available in office and college canteens. It is also a healthier alternative to junk food. Goes well with any hot or cold drink.
There is something so comforting about the khichdi. Be it sabudana or dal khichdi both are perfect when you want something light. If you want to take it to the next level try the Brown rice khichdi too, makes brown rice look so appeasing!
Note: Though Dal khichuri and Brown rice khichri are gluten-free, they cannot be eaten during vrat/fasting period.
Benefits of sabudana / Sago
- Good for breastfeeding
- Keeps BP in check
- Fights birth defects in fetus.
- Promotes hearth health.
How to avoid sticky sabudana khichdi?
There is a simple technique to this. Soak sago with optimum water to cover the pellets. It ensures pellets double their size after few hours. If the water is less, they will remain hard. However, if you add more water, pellets become mushy. You can easily master the trick with few attempts. Soak the sago pellets in some buttermilk if non vegan.
Step by step pictures of recipe for Sabudana khichdi:
- Heat oil. Add peanuts, cook until light brown.
2.Add cumin seeds, ginger and chillies.
3. Add potato spices, cook for few minutes.
4. Now, add soaked sabudana, cook for few minutes, cover for few minute. Serve warm.
Read recipe for Sabudana khichdi
- 1 cup tapioca/sago or sabudana
- 3 tbsp oil
- ½ cup broken raw peanuts
- ½ tsp. cumin seeds or jeera
- 1 green chilli chopped finely
- 1 tsp. grated ginger
- 2 medium size potatoes boiled and cut into small pieces
- Rock salt or sendha namak to taste
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Garnish: Handful of chopped mint leaves and pomegranate seeds
- Soak tapioca or sabudana in 1 cup water for 3 to 4 hours.
- Remove the excess water, keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, add the peanuts in oil, cook until they are lightly brown.
- Add cumin seeds. After seeds crack, add green chilies and grated ginger. Stir for a few seconds.
- Add boiled potato pieces and cook for few minutes.
- Add the soaked tapioca (sabudana) and mix slowly.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes on slow flame.
- Add salt and cook continuously until tapioca becomes translucence, looks like pearls.
- Cover and leave aside for few minutes.
- Serve warm,garnish with lemon juice,mint leave and pomegranate seeds.
Another great recipe is dairy based sweet : sabudana kheer. If you like savory it is the quintessential vrat snack: sabudana vada
Click here to see top 10 Navratri recipes.
Click here for more vrat recipes
Also, click here for more recipe videos