We all love paneer tikka. However, we cannot eat the original tikka recipe during the Navratri or saavan fasting days. Falhari tikka is inspired from this. We use the original tikka recipe but make it gluten free. Falahari paneer tikka is a dish even kids will enjoy as it is low on spices. Most people order a tikka when at a restaurant. However, it is very easy to make at home. We use pineapple to give a hint of sweetness. Also, use root veggies like potatoes and sweet potato along with paneer cubes. Adding paneer to grilled veggies always makes things tasty. This is a dish you will enjoy thoroughly.
What is falahari or falhari ?
During the Hindu fasting period, we eat fruits, root veggies, dairy products and gluten-free flours only.
- You can eat Amaranth, Sago, Tapioca, Water chestnut, sama/moraiyo .
- We avoid eating wheat and rice.
- Generally, people eat once a day, post sunset.
- We avoid eating greens and use minimal spices like black pepper, green chillies, ginger and cumin.
- We avoid sea-salt, garlic, red chilli powder.
- Use rock salt, lime, dried mango powder.
- Veggies like cauliflower, okra, cabbage, brinjals, tomatoes are also not eaten.
- or air fryer
- Boiled potato cubed
- Pineapple peeled, cubed
- Paneer / cottage cheese cubed
For tikka paste
- Yogurt/ dahi
- Mint chopped
- Green chilli chopped
- Ginger grated / chopped
- Quinoa flour or buckwheat (kuttu) or tapioca (sabudana) flour
- Salt as per taste
How to make paneer tikka a falhari recipe?
Here, we prepare a simple tikka paste with mint leaves to coat the pieces.Later we grill it in an oven. You can also try to make in air-fryer. We have used sago(sabudana)powder to get some crispiness instead of chickpea paste or besan as in original recipe. Potato has been semi-cooked separately as they take longer to cook. This ensures all the ingredients cook evenly. We have then lined them in a skewer and cooked further with paneer and pineapple pieces.
Instructions for paneer vrat tikka
- Mix the ingredients for marinate in a bowl
2. Add the paneer with other items and keep them in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
3. Arrange the pieces in a skewers over a grill.
How to cook falhari paneer tikka in oven ?
- It is preferred to cook the skewers in a way that they do not touch any surface, else they won't be cooked evenly. So you may use a tray or a small grill to place the skewers as shown below.
- If you do not have a grill to line the skewers, then place them in a baking tray lined with baking paper and rotate them once or twice during cooking.
- Preheat the oven for 10 minutes at 180C (fan forced).Then cook them 17-18 minutes.
- Later, cook them further for 3-4 minutes using the top grill/broiler option in the oven.
How to cook falhari paneer tikka in air fryer ?
- Similar to an an oven, preheat the air fryer for 10 minutes at 180C.
- Then cook them 12-13 minutes
- Later cook them further for 3-4 minutes using the grill option in the air fryer.
Read the recipe below
Falhari tikka recipe
- Air fryer
- 2 medium boiled potato cubed
- 1 medium pineapple peeled,cubed
- 400 gms paneer cubed
For tikka paste
- 1 cup low fat yogurt or ¾ cup full fat yogurt with ¼ cup water from yogurt/tap
- ½ cup mint chopped
- 1 green chilli chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger grated / chopped
- ¼ cup Quinoa flour or buckwheat (kuttu) or tapioca (sabudana) flour
- Salt as per taste
For the tikka paste
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl. Whisk it.
For the tikka
- Marinate the paneer with pineappled and boiled potato cubes with the tikka paste, keep it aside in the fridge for atleast 1 hour
- Line up the paneer,pineapple and potatoes in a wooden skewer.
- Brush/spray the skewers with the oil
For oven baked tikka
- Preheat the oven for 10 minutes at 180C (fan forced) and then cook them 17-18 minutes, cook them further for 3-4 minutes using the top grill/broiler option in the oven.Use an oil spray for 1-2 times in between.
- Serve with a mint chutney.
For Air fryied tikka
- Preheat the air fryer for 10 minutes at 180C and then cook them 12-13 minutes, cook them further for 3-4 minutes using the grill option in the air fryer.Use an oil spray for 1-2 times in between.
Try more interesting vrat recipes
Click here to see our top 10 Navratri recipes.
Click here to see more more recipe videos from our channel "Secondrecipe".
Also, click here to see more vrat recipes.