We all love paneer tikka. However, we cannot eat the original tikka recipe during the Navratri or saavan fasting days. Falhari tikka is inspired from this. We use the original tikka recipe but make it gluten-free. Falahari paneer tikka is a dish even kids will enjoy as it is low on spices.Most people order a tikka when at a restaurant.However, it is very easy to make at home.We use pineapple to give a hint of sweetness.Also,use root veggies like potatoes and sweet potato along with paneer cubes.Adding paneer to grilled veggies always makes things tasty.This is a dish you will enjoy thoroughly.
What is falahari or falhari ?
During the Hindu fasting period, we eat fruits,root veggies,dairy products and gluten-free flours only.
- You can eat Amaranth,Sago,Tapioca,Water chestnut,sama/moraiyo .
- We avoid eating wheat and rice.
- Generally, people eat once a day, post sunset.
- We avoid eating greens and use minimal spices like black pepper,green chillies,ginger and cumin.
- We avoid sea-salt,garlic,red chilli powder.
- Use rock salt,lime,dried mango powder.
- Veggies like cauliflower,okra,cabbage,brinjals,tomatoes are also not eaten.
How to make paneer tikka a falhari recipe?
Here, we prepare a simple tikka paste with mint leaves to coat the pieces.Later we grill it in an oven.You can also try to make in air-fryer.
We have used sago(sabudana)powder to get some crispiness instead of chickpea paste or besan as in original recipe.
Potato has been semi-cooked separately as they take longer to cook.
This ensures all the ingredients cook evenly.
We have then lined them in a skewer and cooked further with paneer and pineapple pieces.
Step by step pictures of the falhari tikka recipe
1.Prepare the marinate
2.Marinate the paneer/cheese pieces in it
3.Cook the potatoes and sweet potatoes in oven/steamer.
4.Roll over potatoes/pineapples with marinate and arrange in skewers,bake in oven
- 1 potato cubed
- 1 sweet potato cubed
- 1 pineapple cubed
- 400 gm paneer cubed
For tikka paste
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1 cup mint
- 1 green chilli
- 1 tbsp ginger
- 2 tbsp sago sabudana powdered
- Salt as per taste
For the tikka paste
- Mix all ingredients in a mixer.
For the tikka
- Marinate the paneer cubes with the tikka paste, keep it aside.
- Toss the potatoes with 1 tbsp oil and bake in a an over at 180 degree C for 10 mins or you can steam it for 20 minutes/partially cooked.
- Toss the sweet potatoes with 1 tbsp oil and bake in a the oven at 180 degree C with potatoes for 10 mins or you can steam it for 10 minutes/partially cooked.
- Line up the paneer,pineapple and semi cooked potatoes in a wooden skewer.
- Brush the skewers with the tikka paste.
- Arrange it in a tray and cook for 15-20 minutes /until cooked at 180 degree C.
- Serve with a mint chutney.
Try more interesting vrat recipes
Click here to see our top 10 Navratri recipes.
Click here to see more more recipe videos from our channel "Secondrecipe".
Also, click here to see more vrat recipes.