what is sabudana vada?
Sabudana vada or Sago cutletis a regular feature in canteens and office mess these days in India. Sago or Sabudana is made from tapioca root or cassava. It has been around since World war II. It is both gluten-free and vegan. There are many small sago recipes like kheer ,sabudana usal and the famous Maharashtrian sabudana khichdi. You can also make sabudana wada without peanuts. Many canteens in Mumbai sell this at tea time or breakfast. It is an easy snack and very tasty too.
what to eat with sabudana vada?
Generally sweet yogurt is served with khichdi and vada in canteens. You can mix some water with curd and add some sugar to it for making the sweet yogurt. If you are avoiding sugar, then you can also serve mint chutney or coconut chutney with it.
Hindu Religious fasting and Gluten-free food
In India, many people tend to fast as their devotion to God. Most people fast only on water while some do not take salt. Some may take only fruits during that time. Others may take an evening meal or just sago and potatoes. This is a common practice. A gluten-free meal or fruits taken once a day. We also eat it during Mahashivratri, Sawan somavar and Navratri fasting.
What is Navratre and Sawan fasting?
During the periods of religious fasting like Navratre where Hindus fast for 7-9 days. They consume mostly one meal. We do not eat traditional grains like wheat and rice. Most families do this twice an year. Usually, at the onset of summer and winter. These practices were done since ages at the change of weather. This helps healing. Fasting is cleansing of both body and mind. People spend time in meditation and prayers. This heals the soul. Also, eating gluten-free and vegetarian cuisine helps the gut. During Sawan or rainy season, most people pray to Lord Shiva and fast every Monday. This also keeps you healthy as you do tend to eat lots of fried food like pakoras in rains. We also fast during Mahashivratri in Feb-March each year and pray to Lord Shiva for well being and prosperity.
One common problem with sago is we are unsure when it is ready?
How long do you need to soak Sabudana?
Place Sabudana or sago in bowl and cover it with enough water. Keep it aside for 4-6 hours until it fluffs up.Drain the excess water by keeping the sabudana in a sieve.
- Aids in muscle growth.
- Has calcium so strengthens bones.
- Lowers blood pressure and improves heart health.
- Improves digestion and gut health.
- Good in folates so fights birth defects.
- Great for breastfeeding and increases milk production.
Step by step pictures for making of sabudana vada.
- Wash sago and soak them in enough water for 4 hours to overnight. After soaking, they will swell up and will become double the size. Mix together mashed potatoes, sago and all dry ingredients. If you are making them for vrat. Kindly use mint leaves and sendha namak/ rocksalt.
2. Make 10 to 12 balls and then flatten them to make patties or vada.
3. Deep fry in medium hot oil in a wok/kadai.
4. Take it out when brown from all sides. Keep it aside on paper napkin so that it soaks excess oil. Serve hot with mint chutney or sweet yogurt.
Read the recipe:
- 1 cup sabudana soaked for 4 hours(results in 2 cups sabudana)
- 2 medium sized potatoes mashed and peeled(You can also use 1 potato & 1 sweet potato)
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- ¼ cup peanuts crushed(optional)
- 1 tbsp. coriander/mint leaves Do not use coriander during fasting/vrat
- 5-6 green chillies
- Rock salt as needed
- Oil for deep frying
- Wash sabudana and soak them in enough water for 4 hours to overnight. After soaking, they will swell up and will become double the size.
- Mix together mashed potatoes, sabudana and all dry ingredients.
- Make 10 to 12 balls and then flatten them to make patties or vada.
- Deep fry in medium hot oil until golden brown.
- Serve hot with mint chutney.
Add enough water upto 1 ½ inches above the sabudana.
If the mixture becomes too sticky and soft, add kuttu or rajgiri ka aata.
Oil should be hot enough for frying the vadas.
Click here to see more vrat recipes.
Also click here to see more recipe videos.