Navratri is a time to pray.It is also time to eat special delicacies. Kuttu ki tikki-Buckwheat cutlets is an easy recipe you can make. It is easy to cook and less oily.It is gluten-free,dairy-free,vegan.Hence can be eaten by aged and children easily.
Kuttu recipes and its benefits
Buckwheat or 'kuttu' is a super-food.It is a great source of protein,amino acids,dietary fiber and magnesium.Therefore studies suggest regular usage of buckwheat lowers diabetes.It also ensures you have better blood sugar control and as a result,works to improve cardiovascular system
Furthermore,it is a great source of Iron.Also it contains very minimal fat content.
Buckwheat recipes are pretty simple.You can use this to make pancakes,flatbread,patties or croquettes and even noodles(soba noodles).
Hence it is versatile and very healthy ingredient to incorporate in your diet.
It is a 9 day Hindu festival which precedes 'Dusshera' or'Vijayadashami'.This festival celebrates the victory of good over evil.Most people pray to 'Ma Durga' for a better and happier life.They also fast by giving up on their daily items.They abstain from foods like wheat,rice,spices,meat,onions and garlic.Our ancestors successfully combined Ayurveda and spiritual cleansing into festivals.They also include meditation and prayers ,to develop holistic approach towards life.Hence,during these 9 days,people eat foods which are gluten-free.
Buckwheat('kuttu'),water chestnut/caltrop('singhada'),sago('sabudana'),amaranth('rajgira') and milk,jaggery,fruits.As a result of this practice. it detoxes the body and mind.
Get recipe of kuttu ki tikki-Buckwheat patties video:
- 1 cup buck wheat or kuttu 2 cups after soaked and boiled
- 2 large potatoes
- 2 tablespoon peanuts optional
- ¼ cup mint leaves chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried mango powder or amchur
- 2 green chillies
- 1 piece ginger chopped
- Oil for frying
- Salt as per taste
- Soak buckwheat and boil it with enough water until soft. Drain excess water
- In food processor process all ingredient except the buckwheat and potatoes.
- Add buckwheat and potatoes and pulse for a 30 seconds
- Make small cutlets out of the mixture.
- Heat oil on flat iron pan. Add cutlets to it , cook on low/medium flame until light brown on both sides.
- Serve hot with mint and dates chutney
Looking for more tikki n chutney recipes?
For more vegan recipes click vegan
For more vrat/fast specific recipes click vrat
To see more recipe videos click video