Jackfruit is a tropical vegetable which resembles durian in texture but tastes quite different. It has a sticky thorny exterior but do not get deceived. It will be one of the yummiest things you ever tasted. You can make so many yummy meals from it. Be it kathal ka achar, kathal biryani or a simple kathal ki sabzi or jackfruit curry. It is a very meaty vegetable. Almost, tastes like vegetarian mutton. I find jackfruit recipes very filling. There are some foods which satisfy the soul. One such is jackfruit. One huge piece can guarantee 2-3 meals. It is great to eat instead of having mutton. It is famous nowadays as a vegan meat option. Many vegans are now making pulled pork from it in the west. Quite popular in the west. I love making a good curry out of it and it tastes awesome in biryani. However, pickling it is a great way to savor it even when not in season.
You can make this pickle with canned one in brine too. Canned one is already cut into pieces. Thus, makes it easier to work with.
how to make kathal ka achar?
Ingredients for kathal ka achar -spices are below:
- nigella seeds
- red chilly powder
- turmeric powder
- fennel seeds
- mustard seeds
How to make Indian jackfruit pickle?
Learn how to make Indian jackfruit pickle step by step.
- Steam the jackfruit and grated mango along with some salt.2. Grate mango and add salt.
3. Keep it aside for few hours.
4. All liquid is dry in few hours.
5. Add all spices and mix well.
6. St0re in a clean jar in sun for a month.
7. Mix with a spoon every 5-7 days.
how to make jackfruit pickle ? Read the jackfruit pickle recipe below.
- 250 gm grated raw mango
- 500 gm cleaned and chopped jackfruit
- 2 tablespoon salt
- 6 tablespoon fenugreek seeds coarsely ground
- 6 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 3 teaspoon nigella seeds
- ¼ cup red chilli powder
- 3 teaspoon turmeric powder
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups mustard oil
- Steam the jackfruit pieces for 15 minutes or until soft.
- Mix the jackfruit,grated mango and Salt.
- Cover it and keep it aside for 6-8 hours in sun.
- Mix all spices along with fennel, fenugreek seeds with oil,vinegar and
- mango-jackfruit mixture.
- Transfer to an oiled & clean jar.
- Tightly close the lid of the jar and keep it out in the Sun for a period of 1 month.
- Stir the contents at intervals of 5-6 days with a clean dry spoon.
- Once ready, store it indoors in a cool dry place.
Do you know how much water is used to make 1 kg of meat?
Honestly, I had rather eat this than kill a living being for food. But that's me. Many cannot stay without meat but do not understand how much climate change happens due that 1 piece of meat. Between 5000-20000 ltrs. All the people protesting climate change should actually turn vegetarian/Vegan for at least 1 day a week. It will still make the world of difference. Anyway, I wish the world was so simple. I still hope someday people understand the price we pay unknowingly for food. Have the meaty jackfruit and spare some lives. This world will stay worth living if we all make an effort!
Click here to see more pickle recipes.
Also, click here to see more recipe videos.