Jackfruit is a tropical vegetable.You can make so many yummy meals from it.Be it kathal ka achar, kathal biryani or a simple kathal ki sabzi or jackfruit curry.It is a meaty vegetable.Almost, tastes like vegetarian mutton.I find jackfruit recipes very filling.There are some foods which satisfy the soul.One such is jackfruit.
Honestly I had rather eat this than kill a living being for food.But that's me.Many cannot stay without meat but do not understand how much climate change happens due that 1 piece of meat.
Do you know how much water is used to make 1 kg of meat?
Between 5000-20000 ltrs.
All the people protesting climate change should actually turn vegetarian for atleast 1 meal a week.
It will still make the world of difference.
Anyway, I wish the world was so simple.
I still hope someday people understand the price we pay unknowingly for food.
Coming back to jackfruit.
It grows in abundance.
One huge piece can guarantee 2-3 meals.It is great to eat instead of having mutton.It is famous nowadays as a vegan meat option.Many vegans are now making pulled pork from it in the west.Quite popular in the west.
I love making a good curry out of it and it tastes awesome in biryani.
However, pickling it is a great way to savour it even when not in season,
You can make this pickle with canned one in brine too. Canned one is already cut into pieces.Thus, makes it easier to work with.
This recipe has also been published in Aussie Indianlink Magazine,.Click here to see the article.
Ingredients and steps to make the pickle
- Steam the jackfruit and grated mango along with some salt.
- Keep it aside for few hours until the liquid dries.
- Add all spices and mix well.
- St0re in a clean jar in sun for a month.
- Mix with a spoon every 5-7 days
Scroll below to read the jackfruit pickle recipe
- 250 gm grated raw mango
- 500 gm cleaned and chopped jackfruit
- 2 tbsp salt
- 6 tbsp fenugreek seeds coarsely ground
- 6 tbsp fennel seeds
- 3 tsp nigella seeds
- 1/4 cup red chilli powder
- 3 tsp turmeric powder
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups mustard oil
- Steam the jackfruit pieces for 15 minutes or until soft.
- Mix the jackfruit,grated mango and Salt.
- Cover it and keep it aside for 6-8 hours in sun.
- Mix all spices along with fennel, fenugreek seeds with oil,vinegar and
- mango-jackfruit mixture.
- Transfer to an oiled & clean jar.
- Tightly close the lid of the jar and keep it out in the Sun for a period of 1 month.
- Stir the contents at intervals of 5-6 days with a clean dry spoon.
- Once ready, store it indoors in a cool dry place.
Click here to see more pickle recipes.
Also, click here to see more recipe videos.