Jackfruit is a tropical vegetable which resembles durian in texture but tastes quite different. It has a sticky thorny exterior but do not get deceived. It will be one of the yummiest things you ever tasted. You can make so many yummy meals from it. Be it kathal ka achar, kathal biryani or a simple kathal ki sabzi or jackfruit curry. It is a very meaty vegetable. Almost, tastes like vegetarian mutton. I find jackfruit recipes very filling. There are some foods which satisfy the soul. One such is jackfruit. One huge piece can guarantee 2-3 meals. It is great to eat instead of having mutton. It is famous nowadays as a vegan meat option. Many vegans are now making pulled pork from it in the west. Quite popular in the west. I love making a good curry out of it and it tastes awesome in biryani. However, pickling it is a great way to savor it even when not in season.
You can make this pickle with canned one in brine too. Canned one is already cut into pieces. Thus, makes it easier to work with.
how to make kathal ka achar?
Ingredients for kathal ka achar
- Raw jackfruit. (remove the skin,you can keep the seeds)
- Raw mango (grated)
Spices are below:
- nigella seeds
- red chilly powder
- turmeric powder
- fennel seeds
- mustard seeds
How to make Indian jackfruit pickle?
Learn how to make Indian jackfruit pickle step by step.
- Steam the jackfruit until its little soft,move it to a bowl2.
- Add the grated mango and add salt.
3. Cover it and Keep it aside for few hours.This will help the grated manto to release the juices.
4. Mix the jackfruit and mango with a clean spoon
5. Add all spices and mix well.
6. Add oil and mix well. Move the contents to a clean jar.
7. Once every few days, stir the contents with a clean and dry spoon during while the pickle is kept in the Sun.
The pickle is ready ,once the masala has gone through the jackfruit pieces and they can easily be cut with a spoon. Approximately a month in a good sunlight.
how to make jackfruit pickle ? Read the jackfruit pickle recipe below.
- 500 gms raw jackfruit This is the weight after its cleaned and chopped.
- 250 gms Raw mango grated,not required to peel
- 2 tablespoon salt
- 3 tablespoon fenugreek seeds coarsely ground
- 3 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 1½ teaspoon nigella seeds
- 2 tablespoon red chilli powder
- 1½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup mustard oil or more to submerge the pickle
- Steam the jackfruit pieces for 15 minutes or until soft.
- Mix the jackfruit,grated mango and Salt.
- Cover it and keep it aside for 6-8 hours in sun.This will help the grated manto to release the juices.
- Mix all spices along with fennel, fenugreek seeds with oil,vinegar and mango-jackfruit mixture.Also add the vinegar and oil.
- Transfer to clean jar.Push the pickle down with the back of the spoon.After a few days, the oil wil come to the top, if it does not come, add little more oil.
- Tightly close the lid of the jar and keep it out in the Sun for a period of 1 month.
- Stir the contents at intervals of 5-6 days with a clean dry spoon.
- Once ready, store it indoors in a cool dry place.