Carrots are a great nibble .It is full of vitamin A. You can pickle them, make a halwa,or have them with hummus. If you like curries mix and match them with veggies. They go great with cauliflower or cabbage. You can even make a curry or soup out of it. There is another great recipe from carrots. The low oil vegetable pickle or gajar gobhi shalgam ka achaar. You can mix any vegetable to make this mixed vegetable pickle.
Another such recipe is the pachranga achar. Vegetable pickle recipes has a fan-following too as there is something for everyone in it. Be it carrots, onions, cauliflowers, turnips or chillies. Indian mixed pickle is tangy. Something you will never stop having. Many people cannot have their meal without dips and pickles. However, the oil in these commercial made pickles adds to sodium and fat in body. Whether you call it achar or achaar ,it is still a great recipe.
The alternative to these pickles are making small batches of pickles at home which would be free of commercial preservatives. They are vegan and can be made gluten-free. To make a gluten-free batch, do not add asafoetida/heeng to it.
Gajaru ka achar/Carrot pickle is one such pickle which is great in taste too. It is easy to make and can be made on a regular basis.All you need is some sunshine. If you have some carrots to spare, you will enjoy this nibble. Good thing is unlike mangoes, carrots come in all seasons and colors. Be it orange, purple or red. So lets pickle while it shines hot and bright!
Pickling is also a great way of adding fermented food to your gut. This helps you improve your gut by adding good bacteria to it. So what if you did not like kombucha? Pickle will come to your rescue.
Mustard oil and sesame oil.
- carrot cut into thick stripes
- radish cut into thick tripes
- florets of cauliflower
- green chillies slit length-wise
- turmeric powder
- red chilli powder
- coarsely powdered mustard seeds preferably yellow for good color
- mustard oil
- Salt to taste
Refer to recipe card for details.
Steam the vegetables for 10 minutes,except the green chillies.
Mix the vegetables, spices, salt and mustard oil.Pour into a sterilized glass jar.
Keep the jar in sunlight or a warm place for 3-4 days (longer in winter).Lightly shake the vegetables once a day.
The pickle is ready to be consumed when the carrot turns slightly sour. If not sour, keep in the sun for a few more days. Store in refrigerator.
Need interesting pickle ideas?
Store in a clean dry jar. If there is moisture in the jar, pickle will spoil. Always use a dry spoon to take it out for consumption.
Low oil Vegetable Pickle
Store this into the fridge and finish in a few weeks.
- 1 carrot cut into thick stripes
- ½ raddish cut into thick tripes
- Few florets of cauliflower
- 2 green chillies slit length-wise
- 1 tsp. turmeric powder
- ½ tsp. red chilli powder
- 2 tbsp. coarsely powdered mustard seeds preferably yellow for good color
- ¼ cup mustard oil
- Salt to taste
- Steam the vegetables for 10 minutes,except the green chillies.
- Mix the vegetables, spices, salt and mustard oil and pour into a sterilized glass jar.
- Keep the jar in sunlight or a warm place for 3-4 days (longer in winter).
- Lightly shake the vegetables once a day.
- The pickle is ready to be consumed when the carrot turns slightly sour. If not sour, keep in the sun for a few more days.
- Store in refrigerator.
- Always keep kitchen well ventilated while cooking.
- Use a chimney or exhaust to ensure no fumes.
- Never leave a cooking food unattended
- Always use a clean dry spoon to take out your pickle.
Please share your inputs..