Jackfruit or kathal is a tropical fruit which originates from India. It grows in abundance and is very popular in South India, Sri Lanka and southeast Asia. You can make so many yummy easy vegan recipes from it. Be it jackfruit pickle, biryani or a simple jackfruit masala curry. It is a meaty plant-based curry made with young green jackfruit. Kathal curry is a spicy Indian curry at its best. It tastes like vegetarian mutton. While the young green raw jackfruit is used for burgers, yellow sweet variety is used in kheer or eaten as it is. There are so many jackfruit recipes that one can relish even in Asian cuisine.
Many vegans are now making pulled pork burgers from shredded jackfruit in the west. Quite popular as it has the same meaty texture and a neutral taste, hence it carries spices very well. I love making a good curry out of it. You can just pressure cook them with loads of onions and some tomatoes. Minimal ingredients and maximum taste.
Top tip: If you do not get fresh jackfruit easily in the local market, try checking out freezer section of your grocery store. You can get canned jackfruit easily at asian grocery stores or health food stores
Do you know how much water is used to make 1 kg of meat?
Between 5000-20000 ltrs.
Now that water is getting scarce, it is time we opt for better options. Now with rising costs and allergies, jack fruit is much in demand. And rightly so. After all, it deserves the fame. Most people underestimate how yummy a vegetable can be.
Honestly, I had rather eat this than kill a living being for food. But that’s me. Many cannot stay without meat. Wish they would understand how much climate change happens due that 1 piece of meat. Instead of crying about climate change, do a change of meal and use public transport. it will give the world much more benefit!
How do you cut a jackfruit for Curry?
I remember how many vegetable vendors sell cut jack fruit in Mumbai. If you want to cut it at home, make sure you use a well oiled heavy knife as the sap sticks to it. It grows in abundance. One huge piece can guarantee 2-3 meals. It is great to eat instead of having mutton. It is famous nowadays as a vegan meat option.
You need to apply oil to knife before you cut it as saps sticks to hands and knife otherwise. Use canned version if you do not get it fresh. You can also freeze the pieces if you get fresh ones in season. Can be used later.
- Air fryer (if using air fryer)
- saucepan / deep pan
- chopper / knife & chopping board
- blender (if using homemade tomato puree)
- raw jackfruit pieces
Refer to recipe card for details
Instructions to fry jackfruit pieces
- Cut jackfruit in medium pieces.
2. Sauté jackfruit pieces in few tbsps. of oil. Keep it aside.
Instructions to Air fry jackfruit pieces
- Clean the jackfruit pieces. Brush oil/toss oil on the jackfruit pieces
2. Preheat the air fryer for 10 minutes at 180C/355F ,move the oiled jackfruit pieces to the airfryer basket
3. In a preheated air fryer, cook the pieces for 12-14 minutes @180C/355F. Keep the jackfruit pieces aside.
Instructions for jackfruit curry in an instant pot
Heat oil in an instant pot. Add cumin seeds, let it crackle. Then, add onions and ginger, and cook until its dark. Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder with salt. Add tomatoes or tomato puree and mix well. Refer to our recipe of authentic indian curry for detailed instructions.
Now, add the remaining spices and mix well. Oil should ease out well.
Add the jackfruit pieces, potato (optional).
Add water. Cover and cook on high pressure for 10 minutes.
Release the steam once done, garnish with cilantro leaves.
Instructions for jackfruit curry in a pan
Once you have cooked the jackfruit pieces by frying/ saute /air fry, make a simple curry from these.
- Heat oil in pan. Add cumin seeds, let it crackle. Add onions and ginger. Let it cook until soft. Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder with salt.
2. Add chopped tomatoes
3. Once the tomatoes have softened, add the fried/air fried green jackfruit pieces
4. Mix the jackfruit pieces with the onion and tomato mix
5. Add around 2 cups of water,cover the pan and cook on low flame until the jackfruit pieces are soft. Add more water if required.
Garnish with fresh green coriander
You can add full-fat coconut milk to the above recipe and make a creamy jackfruit curry Sri Lanka style. It is also called as kiri kos. You can also make Polos mallum where shredded young jackfruit is cooked with shredded coconut and spices. You can also make Classic Sri Lankan polos curry where more spices are added to the above recipe.
You can also substitute above spice powders by using curry powder and garam masala. This curry can also be made using canned jackfruit and frozen jackfruit pieces. You can also make this curry in traditional pressure cooker if you do not have an instant pot.
You can store it in refrigerator for 2-3 days. It also freezes well. Thaw and reheat.
yes it freezes well. You can reheat in a pan or a cooker before you serve.
Yes, you can make this jackfruit recipe with frozen pieces, you will just need toss these frozen pieces in oil and cook for an extra minute or two.
With the canned jackfruit pieces, drain excess water, toss them in oil and cook in the airfryer for 5 minutes to start with, at this point if it looks to be cooked, you can add them to the curry and cook.If the canned jackfruit is not cooked, cook for a few minutes more in the airfryer before adding to the curry,
Jackfruit curry recipe
- pan / instant pot
- 500 gms jackfruit 500gm jackfruit (yields 350gm jackfruit pieces)
- 1 large onions
- 3 medium tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon ginger garlic
- 2 medium potato optional
- 4 teaspoon Olive oil 2 tablespoon for air frying, 2 tablespoon for curry. For deep frying more oil is required.
- Cut jackfruit in medium size pieces using a heavy oiled knife. If you are using canned version, just rinse with water.
To air fry jackfruit pieces
- Wash the jackfruit pieces.
- Brush oil/toss oil on the jackfruit pieces.
- Preheat the airfryer at 180C/355F.
- In a preheated air fryer, cook the pieces for 12-14 minutes @180C | 355F.
To fry jackfruit pieces
- Heat oil in pan, you may sauté the jackfruit pieces in 3-4 tbsp. oil or deep fry them.
For jackruit curry
- Heat oil in pan/instant pot, add cumin seeds, let it crackle. Add onions and ginger. Let it cook until soft over medium heat. Add turmeric powder with salt.
- Add chopped tomatoes with other spices.
- Once the tomatoes have softened, add the remaining spices.
- Mix the jackfruit pieces with the onion and tomato mix.
For jackfruit curry in a pan
- Add around 2-3 cups of water. Cover the pan and cook on low flame until the jackfruit pieces are soft. Add more water if required and stir well.
- Serve vegan jackfruit curry hot with roti or rice.
For jackfruit curry in instant pot
- Add 2 cup of water and potatoes(optional). Cover on high pressure for 10 minutes.
- Release the steam once done. Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove.
Conclusion: This meat substitute has a fan base of its own.