Jackfruit/kathal is a tropical vegetable.It grows in abundance.You can make so many yummy meals from it.Be it jackfruit pickle,biryani or a simple jackfruit masala curry.It is a meaty curry.Kathal curry spicy Indian curry at its best.It tastes like vegetarian mutton.While the young green raw jackfruit is used for burgers,yellow sweet variety is used in kheer or eaten as it is.
Honestly, I had rather eat this than kill a living being for food. But that’s me.
Many cannot stay without meat. Wish they would understand how much climate change happens due that 1 piece of meat.
Do you know how much water is used to make 1 kg of meat?
Between 5000-20000 ltrs.
Now that water is getting scarce, it is time we opt for better options
Now, due to quarantine people are refraining from meat.Hence, jack fruit is much in demand.
And rightly so.
After all,it deserves the fame.
Most people underestimate how yummy a vegetable can be.
I remember how many vegetable vendors sell cut jack fruit in Mumbai.If you want to cut it at home,make sure you use a well oiled heavy knife as the sap sticks to it.It grows in abundance.One huge piece can guarantee 2-3 meals.It is great to eat instead of having mutton.It is famous nowadays as a vegan meat option.
Many vegans are now making pulled pork burgers from it in the west.
Quite popular in the west.
I love making a good curry out of it.You can just pressure cook them with loads of onions and some tomatoes.Minimal ingredients and maximum taste.
How do you cut a jackfruit for Curry?
You need to apply oil to knife before you cut it as saps sticks to hands and knife otherwise.Use canned version if you do not get it fresh.You can also freeze the pieces if you get fresh ones in season.Can be used later.
Step-by-step instructions of jackfruit curry recipe
Read the recipe of vegan jackfruit curry below:
- 500 gms jackfruit
- 3 large onions
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 2-3 small potatoes
- 2-4 bay leaves
- 1 small piece ginger
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp. coriander powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- Salt as per taste
- 6-8 tsp Oil
- Cut jackfruit in medium size pieces using a heavy oiled knife.If you are using canned version,just rinse with water.
- Saute the pieces in few tbsps oil in a pan. Keep it aside.
- In a heavy bottom pan, add remaining oil,chopped onions,ginger,garlic,bay leaves and salt until brown.
- Add tomato puree followed by remaining spices.Mix well.Let it cook untill you can see the oil oozing out.
- Now, add jackfruit and potato pieces and let it cook for 5 mins.
- Add 3-4 cups of water and slowly mix the curry.
- Cover and cook on low flame for 30 mins or untill the jackfruit pieces are cooked.
- Serve hot with roti or rice.
Click here to see more recipe videos.