Jackfruit/kathal is a tropical vegetable. It grows in abundance. You can make so many yummy easy vegan recipes from it. Be it jackfruit pickle, biryani or a simple jackfruit masala curry. It is a meaty curry. Kathal curry is a spicy Indian curry at its best. It tastes like vegetarian mutton. While the young green raw jackfruit is used for burgers, yellow sweet variety is used in kheer or eaten as it is. There are so many jackfruit recipes that one can relish even in Asian cuisine.
Honestly, I had rather eat this than kill a living being for food. But that’s me. Many cannot stay without meat. Wish they would understand how much climate change happens due that 1 piece of meat. Instead of crying about climate change, do a change of meal and use public transport. it will give the world much more benefit!
Do you know how much water is used to make 1 kg of meat?
Between 5000-20000 ltrs.
Now that water is getting scarce, it is time we opt for better options. Now, due to quarantine people are refraining from meat. Hence, jack fruit is much in demand. And rightly so.
After all, it deserves the fame. Most people underestimate how yummy a vegetable can be.
I remember how many vegetable vendors sell cut jack fruit in Mumbai. If you want to cut it at home, make sure you use a well oiled heavy knife as the sap sticks to it. It grows in abundance. One huge piece can guarantee 2-3 meals. It is great to eat instead of having mutton. It is famous nowadays as a vegan meat option.
Many vegans are now making pulled pork burgers from it in the west. Quite popular in the west. I love making a good curry out of it. You can just pressure cook them with loads of onions and some tomatoes. Minimal ingredients and maximum taste.
How do you cut a jackfruit for Curry?
You need to apply oil to knife before you cut it as saps sticks to hands and knife otherwise. Use canned version if you do not get it fresh. You can also freeze the pieces if you get fresh ones in season. Can be used later.
- Air fryer (if using air fryer)
- saucepan / deep pan
- chopper / knife & chopping board
- blender (if using homemade tomato puree)
- raw jackfruit pieces
- cumin seeds
- red chilli powder
- turmeric powder
- coriander powder
- Salt as per taste
Refer to recipe card for details
Instructions to fry jackfruit pieces
- Cut jackfruit in medium pieces.
2. Sauté jackfruit pieces in few tbsps. of oil. Keep it aside.
Instructions to Air fry jackfruit pieces
- Clean the jackfruit pieces,brush oil/toss oil on the jackfruit pieces
2. Pre heat the airfryer for 10 minutes at 180C/355F ,move the oiled jackfruit pieces to the airfryer basket
3. In a preheated air fryer, cook the pieces for 12-14 minutes @180C/355F. Keep the jackfruit pieces aside.
Instructions for jackfruit curry
Once you have cooked the jackfruit pieces by frying/ saute /air fry, make a simple curry from these.
- Heat Oil in pan, add cumin seeds, let it crackle, add onions and ginger,let it cook until soft,add turmeric powder with salt.
2. Add chopped tomatoes
3. Once the tomatoes have softened, add the fried/air fried green jackfruit pieces
4. Mix the jackfruit pieces with the onion and tomato mix
5. Add around 2 cups of water,cover the pan and cook on low flame until the jackfruit pieces are soft. Add more water if required.
This variation for jackfruit curry requires more onions and browning of onions.In a pan, heat oil and cook onions,ginger garlic and spices. Cook onions until dark brown.
Add tomato puree and mix well.
Now add the remaining spices and mix well. Oil should ease out well.
Add the jackfruit pieces,potato (optional) with water.cover and cook for 30 minutes
Serve hot with roti/rice
- Another variation to make a creamy jackfruit curry is by adding coconut milk Sri Lankan style. It is also called as kirikos.
You can also substitute above spice powders by using curry powder and garam masala. This curry can also be made using canned jackfruit and frozen jackfruit pieces.
You can store it in refrigerator for 2-3 days. It also freezes well. Thaw and reheat.
yes it freezes well. You can reheat in a pan or a cooker before you serve.
You can make a curry, pickle, poriyal stir fry, vegan bbq pulled pork and even a biryani out of it.
Jackfruit curry recipe
- 500 gms jackfruit
- 2 medium large onions
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon ginger garlic
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder or as per taste
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tbsp. coriander powder
- Salt as per taste
- 4 teaspoon Olive oil 2 tablespoon for air frying, 2 tablespoon for curry. For deep frying more oil is required.
- Cut jackfruit in medium size pieces using a heavy oiled knife.If you are using canned version,just rinse with water.
To air fryer jackfruit pieces
- Clean the jackfruit pieces.
- brush oil/toss oil on the jackfruit pieces.
- Preheat the airfryer at 180C/355F.
- In a preheated air fryer, cook the pieces for 12-14 minutes @180C | 355F.
To fry jackfruit pieces
- Heat oil in pan, you may sauté the jackfruit pieces in 3-4 tbsp. oil or deep fry them
For jackfruit curry
- Heat oil in pan, add cumin seeds, let it crackle, add onions and ginger. Let it cook until soft over medium heat. Add turmeric powder with salt.
- Add chopped tomatoes.
- Once the tomatoes have softened, add the fried/air fried jackfruit pieces.
- Mix the jackfruit pieces with the onion and tomato mix.
- Add around 2 cups of water, cover the pan and cook on low flame until the jackfruit pieces are soft. Add more water if required and stir well.
- Serve vegan jackfruit curry hot with roti or rice.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove.
Please share your inputs..