Chunda is a sweet grated mango pickle.Meetha ghisa hua aam ka achar is a tasty treat.This is traditional Gujarati keri nu chundo recipe.It is as sweet as the Gujarati nature. Chhunda is a Gujarati style thokku or sweet murabba made with jaggery.Be it aam panna or raw mango rice, launji or allam avakya the grated mango pickle ,food certainly looks better with a pickle.
What is mango chunda?
This pickle is the best companion for all kinds of 'paranthas' or flat breads,'dal','ghee' and rice,'khichdi',dry curry 'poori' combinations.The popularity is immense amongst all Indian communities.It is a must, when you travel for long journey in trains or buses and can spice up any bland food.It tastes great with lentil rice combinations,like 'dal khichdi','amti bhaat', 'dal bhaat'.In southern parts of India, people eat mango pickle with cooling combination of curd and rice.
In the northern parts of India people love to eat it with 'parantha',any vegetarian curry and some curd.
Here is a achar recipe which will help you avoid the market recipes which contains preservatives,vinegar and oil.
What is pickling?
Pickling is one of the oldest way of storing vegetables. It has been around since the olden times. Train journey was long and slow.Not many people could afford a flight. Hence, people would take paratha and achar or curd rice along with it.This would make a simple meal while on the move. Back then refrigerators and vegetables were not available in all seasons.Even today,many people cannot afford much, hence eat basic food. Especially laborers who do daily labor,eat roti achar and onion.This process is an essential part of Indian cuisine. We make them from all kinds of vegetables.
Be it jack fruit,turnips,aubergines,berries,mango,carrots,tomato,lime,ginger,chilly and meat.
Some are sour,some tangy, while some hot and sweet.
In western nations, you will find pickles too.Kosher dill, gherkins, dills, candied or cuts, chow chow, olives.
Fermented foods are great for the gut.So if you cannot digest kombucha and sauerkraut have the good old pickle.
How to make mango chunda with jaggery recipe?
- Peel and grate raw mangoes.
2. Start cooking raw mango on low flame in a pan with salt. This will start leaving water and later become soft.
3. Add spices with jaggery and continue cooking until it comes together.
4. Continue to cook until jaggery has dissolved.
5. Store in an air-tight jar.
Read the Mango Chunda recipe below:
Chunda-Sweet mango pickle
- 500 gm grated raw mango
- 1 cup gud or jaggery
- ½ teaspoon salt/black salt
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- Peel the raw mango and grate them.
- Cook this in a pan on medium flame along with salt. This will leave sufficient water which will be enough to get it cooked.
- Once it becomes soft, add jaggery and cook until dry.
- Add chilli powder, garam masala and mix well.
- Once cool, store in an air tight container.
If you want to try more raw mango pickle recipes, click here:
- Traditional mango pickle
- Grated ginger-mango pickle
- Sweet instant mango pickle/Launji
- Mango chickpea pickle
- Mango garlic pickle
- Mango jackfruit pickle
For more picking recipes click here
To watch more recipe videos click here