Kesar Pista kheer or the saffron pistachio rice pudding is an easy and much loved recipe.Be it any region of India, everyone has their favorite. Call it by any name,payesh,payasam,kheer,ksheeram this is a favorite of all kids.There are various versions of pudding.Some people also add rice flour instead of rice to make it as phirni/firni.
You can eat it hot or cold depending on your choice and the season.This is a recipe for all kinds of weather.Serve it with poori to kids.They will have a hearty meal.Keep it refrigerated and it thickens with time.
Special kheer recipes are eaten during fasts. We make it by using root vegetable like Sweet potato and lotus seeds or makhane. You can also use sago or sabudana or use moraiyo. Other interesting ones are apple kheer and lauki kheer.
Why is kheer so popular?
You can make it easily with full cream milk.Add dry fruits and saffron to it and it takes it to the next level.Kids and elders both love it.Easy way to feed them milk if they don't like to drink it. However, you need to ensure they do not take too much sugar.Elders love it as they do not need to chew too much. Also, gives them their sugar rush.It is also an easy recipe for a party.You can make it a day earlier.It needs minimal ingredients.
Rice kheer is both gluten-free and eggless.Hence, works well for those who have got gluten and egg allergies.
- basmati rice soaked in water
- full fat milk
- strands of saffron soaked in 2 tablespoon milk/water
- finely chopped pistachios
Refer to recipe card for details.
how to make chawal ki kheer
Basmati,Govind bhog, Mohan bhog tastes best in pudding.Both are fragrant.
Ingredients are pretty simple. Full fat milk ,sugar and Rice or vermicelli. You can add chopped nuts like badam pista.Add saffron, cardamom powder as per your taste.
Kesar Pista Kheer recipe
- ⅓ rd cup basmati rice soaked in water/chawal
- 1.5 ltr full fat milk/dudh
- ¼ th cup sugar/cheeni
- 6-7 strands of saffron/kesar soaked in 2 tablespoon milk/water
- 2 tablespoon almonds/badam sliced
- ¼ cup finely chopped pistachios/pista
- Soak rice in water for 30 mins.Keep it aside.
- Add milk to a pan.
- Add soaked rice to milk and let it boil on medium flame.
- Keep stirring in between.
- Add saffron and sugar to it.Cook on a low flame ,stirring in between.
- Add almonds and pistachios.Keep stirring in between.
- Switch off the flame once kheer is reduced to ⅓rd.
- Garnish with Pistachios.
- Serve hot or cold.
- Always keep the kitchen ventilated.
- Reheat your food leftovers before consumption. Discard if it tastes rancid or smells bad.
- Never leave cooking food unattended.