This gluten free pudding is a vrat special. Makhaane ki kheer or Lotus seed pudding is an easy recipe.It has got its origins in Indus valley civilization.In this vrat recipe,nuts needs no soaking.This makes it faster to cook.Fox nuts are easy to digest too.You can make it in a jiffy whenever you want.Makhana kheer is easy to digest unlike sabudana or sama ke chawal. Hence,It is a widely popular sweet.
Kids also love whole roasted makhana
makhana kheer benefits
- Fox nuts or phool makhaana are a good source of protein.
- They are also rich in magnesium, potassium, phosphorus, iron and zinc.
- It is very high in fiber.
- It has nutrients higher than almonds and walnuts.
- Also, it is very low in calories
- Additionally, it enables weight loss.
- saucepan / deep pan
- chopper / food processor (for chopping nuts)
- lotus seeds/ fox nuts
- mixed nuts( almonds and walnuts )
- strands of saffron soaked in milk
- cardamom powder
refer to recipe card for details
How to make makhana kheer?
Here is a little video which can help you make a delicious lotus seed pudding.
Substitutions and Variations
You can use whole milk for a dairy based version. Add some condensed milk for sweetness as a variation. You may use almond milk or coconut milk for a vegan version. This makhaane ki kheer recipe can also be made in an instant pot or a heavy bottomed pan. Pudding made with crushed makhana can also be given to younger children who cannot consume salty or jaggery based roasted phool makhana as they may not be able to chew it.
Fox nuts or puffed lotus seeds can also be used to make a quick snack like chivda if you do not want to add dairy to your diet.You can also toast them in some ghee or oil in an oven.They are great for tea-time.Also, helps you avoid extra calories of cookies and mixtures.Roasted makhanas are also a great snack if you do not want something elaborate as a chiwda.
Makhaane ki kheer recipe | Lotus seed pudding recipe
- Food processor
- In a pan dry roast lotus seeds or makhane.
- Once they turn pink, add dry fruits to them.Mix well.
- Add ghee and stir well.
- Stir in milk,sugar,cardamom & saffron and cook on a medium heat until it comes to a boil. Let it simmer for few minutes.
- Serve hot/cold.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C).
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods.
- Never leave cooking food unattended.
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds.
- Always have good ventilation while cooking.