Shakarkandi or sweet potato has always been a part of Indian cuisine. Shakarkandi kheer or sweet potato pudding is an easy recipe.Shakarkandi recipes are sweetish in nature due to the taste of sweet potatoes.Hence,this natural sweetness ensures you do not need to add extra sugar.We have been using it for ages.This was the main root vegetable before potatoes came in from Mexico.
This recipe is a nice way to incorporate sweet potato into your diet.
We use a lot of tubers during Navratre and other festive fasting.Fasting has always been a part of our heritage.During religious fasting,Hindus eat gluten-free flours. Fasting recipes can be made vegan or might have dairy in it. On these days we eat only dairy, fruit and some tubers. We also use minimal spices and nuts.It is a great source of Vitamin A & C.Each vegetable that has been included has a specific usage in Ayurveda.
The key is to have all carbohydrate, protein,vitamins and minerals in spite of a restricted diet.
This pudding is for the fit and those on the move.It also takes less time to make this dessert. You also need less added sugar as sweet potato is already sweet.It is also Healthier since it is a tuber and not a grain.Hence, also a nice way of feeding kids tuber.
Step by Step recipe pics of sweet potato kheer/sweet potato payasam
1.Grate the sweet potato.
2.Heat ghee in a pan,saute sweet potato for few minutes
3. Cook until the sweet potato is soft and translucent.
4.Add milk to let it boil on low flame
5.Add remaining ingredients,turn off the heat when milk reduced by half.
Read the recipe of Shakarkandi kheer below
Shakarkandi kheer -Sweet potato kheer
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 400 gm grated sweet potato shredded
- 1.2 ltr full fat milk
- ¼ tbsp sugar
- Pinch of cardamom /elaichi
- Heat ghee in a pan,add grated sweet potato to it.
- Roast it for 10 minutes on low flame.
- Once roasted, add milk and let it boil on low flame.
- Now add sugar and a pinch of cardamom.
- Continue to simmer on a low flame for 20-25 or until milk is reduced by half.
- Turn off the heat,Serve hot or chilled.
Click here to see more fasting recipes.
What are different types of kheer?
- Seviyan kheer/Vermicelli/Payasam
- Rice pudding/Chawal ki kheer
- Fasting special Makhane ki kheer/Foxnut kheer
Both rice & foxnut kheer are also gluten-free.
Also, click here to see more recipe videos.