Shakarkandi means sweet potato in Hindi and it has always been a part of Indian cuisine. About time we give it its due. This tuber is healthier than a normal potato. Sweeter too so can make both a dessert and a samosa. Kheerni or payasam has been around for ages. Shakarkandi kheer or sweet potato kheer is an easy pudding recipe. Unlike the other sweet potato recipes like crispy chips recipe, this one is creamy. Shakarkandi recipes are sweetish in nature due to the inherent taste. Hence, this natural sweetness ensures you do not need to add extra sugar. We have been using it for ages. This was the main root vegetable in Indian food, before potatoes came in from Mexico.
Fasting and diet restrictions in Hinduism
We use a lot of tubers during Navratre and other festive fasting. Fasting has always been a part of our heritage. During religious fasting, Hindus eat gluten-free flours. Fasting recipes can be made vegan or might have dairy in it. On these days we eat only dairy, fruit and some tubers. We also use minimal spices and nuts. Each vegetable that has been included has a specific usage in Ayurveda. The key is to have all carbohydrate, protein, vitamins and minerals in spite of a restricted diet.
Apart from Navratri (March/April and September/ October), people also follow same dietary guidelines in saavan/sawan(july -august).
- It is a great source of Vitamin A & C
- Great for fiber intake.
- Helps manage diabetes
- Guards against ulcers
- Improves hair and skin
- Has a healthy dose of iron
- Enhances memory and helps manage blood pressure
This pudding is for the fit and those on the move. It also takes less time to make this dessert. You also need less added sugar as tuber is already sweet. It is also Healthier since it is a tuber and not a grain. Hence, also a nice way of feeding kids tuber.
- Grated shakarkandi
- Full fat milk
- Cardamom powder /elaichi
How to make sweet potato kheer?
- Grate the sweet potato.
2. Heat ghee or olive oil in a pan. Sauté sweet potato for few minutes.
3. Cook until it is soft and translucent.
4. Add milk to let it boil on low flame. Vegans can use coconut milk or oat milk as per their choice.
5. Add remaining ingredients, turn off the heat when milk reduced by half.
Click here to see our top fasting recipes.
Read the recipe for kheer below
Shakarkandi kheer recipe
- deep saucepan
- 2 tablespoon ghee
- 400 gm grated sweet potato shredded
- 1.2 liter full fat milk
- ¼ tablespoon sugar
- Pinch of cardamom powder /elaichi
- Heat ghee in a pan,add grated sweet potato to it.
- Roast it for about 10 minutes on low flame.
- Once roasted, add milk and let it boil on low flame.
- Now add sugar and a pinch of cardamom.
- Continue to simmer on a low flame for 20-25 or until milk is reduced by half.
- Turn off the heat. Serve hot or chilled.
I love making shakarkandi kheer in winters. Tastes great when you want something hot. Also, when I have a mid week craving for something sweet and there is no time to bake a chocolate cake.
What are some other interesting fasting recipes?
Yes , you can still enjoy your favorite foods even during fasting period. That is how fusion food has evolved. As long as you follow your rituals and guidelines, you can always have a pizza instead of kuttu puri.
What are different recipes of kheer?
Both rice & foxnut kheer are also gluten-free. However only makhane ki kheer can be eaten during fasting period. If you want to make a rice one, you will have to use moraiyo instead of basmati rice.
Click here to see more fasting recipes.
Also, click here to see more recipe videos.