Gujiya is synonymous with Holi and Diwali.It is a desi croissant/empanada shaped sweet.Vegan Gujiya is the non-mawa version.This is also a recipe for ghughra as it is called in gujarat and prepared during Diwali instead of Holi.
We didn't eat fast food during our childhood because it was not so easily available.Instead,mom made lot of snacks and sweets.All ladies tried to make something new on a festival.You could see small children trying to participate in making it. We also tried to steal some mawa to eat while making this.Today we all miss our childhood days.
Gujiya is a simple recipe which can be made 1-2 days in advance before any festival.
You can make it even before any travel and it can last for days.
Nowadays, mawa is adulterated and people also have less time. Also, many people want to go vegan and are weight conscious. Make this Marathi recipe 'Karanji' if you want to enjoy a gujiya without mawa. It is both healthy and tasty.
You can make this in advance and enjoy the festive season!
USP: This recipe is a semi baked then fried.It helps to cook faster when frying in oil.It also gets more crunchier.
Read below for gujiya recipe step by step with pictures.
Read the Vegan Gujiya recipe below
Vegan Gujiya - a healthier and crunchier recipe
- ½ cup dry fruits almond,cashew,walnut
- ⅓ cup desiccated coconut fresh or dry
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 3 tbsp gud or jaggery
- ½ tsp khuskhus or poppy seeds
- 1 tsp sooji or semolina optional
- ½ tsp elaichi or cardamom
- 2 tsp water if using sooji
- 2 cup atta or whole meal four
- 2 tbsp sooji or semolina
- A pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp oil for vegan/ghee non vegan
- 1 cup Warm water for kneading
- 1 tbsp flour with 1 tbsp water for sealing
- Oil for frying
- Grind the nuts and roast in a pan for few minutes with poppy seeds(khuskhus)
- Add desiccated coconut ,roast for few minutes, add coconut oil
- Add caradamom powder,jaggery
- Once jaggery has melted, add raisins turn off the heat
- Take the ingredients for the pastry dough in a bowl
- Knead with water in a semi hard dough.
- Roll a piece of dough ,place a spoonfull of filling
- Press from all sides. Do not leave any open gaps else mixture will come out while frying. Start binding the edges using finger tips. Place the index finger of right hand. Now, roll the immediate part of covering to bind it
- Prepare the gujiya and keep them ready for frying
- Fry on low heat,take out when golden brown
What are the Holi special sweets recipes in India?
Click here to learn to make organic Holi colors with food colors.
Click here For more vegan recipes.
Also, click here for more recipe videos.