Barfi is an easy sweet to make at home.Diamond or square shaped milk based fudge is very popular with kids and elders.It is easy to chew so very popular.Most aromatic ingredients like saffron,cardamom powder and khoya act as base.You can make various kinds of burfi.Nuts like almonds , walnuts and cashews and seeds like til.People also make barfi from chocolate, gulkand or rose preserve, besan/chickpea flour,coconut and sattu.
Learn how to make lauki ki barfi in simple steps.
Some people think it is not possible to make a sweet out of vegetable.However,veggies like pumpkin and bottle gourd can make wonderful sweets.Pumpkin,sweet potato and bottle gourd are cooked to make wonderful sweets like halwa,kheer and barfi.These sweets need less sugar and are unique too.These are root vegetables and also allowed during fasting.So if you are bored of making curry,make a sweet and enjoy.
We have given a twist on the original barfi by adding little coconut flour to it. You can also add desiccated coconut instead of coconut flour if you do not have the latter. Lauki ki barfi/ ghiya burfi tastes more refined and addition of homemade mawa makes it very soft and creamy.
1.Grate the lauki / bottlegourd for the bottle gourd barfi
2. In a pan, cook the grated bottle gourd with 2 tablespoon of ghee.
3. Once the lauki is cooked,add the milk and mawa,allow to mix well
4.Add sugar and coconut flour
5. Cook until its dry,add more ghee if you like
6.Set it on a tray, garnish with more dry fruits
Read below some of the recipes from Lauki
You can make many dishes with humble veggie. Lauki ka raita and lauki thepla are comfort food. If you love your sweets, lauki halwa recipe is a must try. lauki curry recipes like lauki ki sabji & lauki chana dal, lauki ke kofta are simple yet tasty.
Most common lauki English name is Bottle gourd. Other names are oppo, squash, calabash, long melon
Lauki barfi recipe
- 4 cups grated lauki/bottle gourd
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup mawa/khoya
- ¾ cup coconut flour/desiccated coconut
- ¾ cup sugar
- 4 tablespoon ghee
- ½ teaspoon cardamom
- sliced nuts for garnish
- On a low flame,heat 2 tablespoon ghee and saute bottle gourd.Cook for 10 mins.
- Add milk with mawa/khoya/reduced milk,let is cook on low flame.
- Once the milk has evaporated by 75%,add cardamom,sugar and coconut flour/finely dessicated coconut.
- Let is cook on slow flame, add 2 tablespoon ghee and cook until it comes out as a homogeneous mixture.
- Tranfer it to a tray lined with baking paper,garnish with nuts.
- Allow this to set for few hours until it has cooled down.
- Transfer to the refrigerator for few hours
- Cut into desired shapes.