Barfi is an easy sweet to make at home.Diamond or square shaped milk based fudge is very popular with kids and elders.It is easy to chew so very popular.Most aromatic ingredients like saffron,cardamom powder and khoya act as base.You can make various kinds of burfi.Nuts like almonds , walnuts and cashews and seeds like til.People also make barfi from chocolate, gulkand or rose preserve,Besan/chickpea flour,coconut and sattu.
Some people think it is not possible to make a sweet out of vegetable.However,veggies like pumpkin and bottle gourd can make wonderful sweets.Pumpkin,sweet potato and bottle gourd are cooked to make wonderful sweets like halwa,kheer and barfi.These sweets need less sugar and are unique too.These are root vegetables and also allowed during fasting.So if you are bored of making curry,make a sweet and enjoy.
We have given a twist on the original barfi by adding little coconut flour to it.
You can also add desiccated coconut instead of coconut flour if you do not have the latter.
Lauki barfi/ ghiya burfi tastes more refined and addition of homemade mawa makes it very soft and creamy.
Step-by-step instructions for ghiya burfi
Read the lauki barfi recipe
- 4 cups grated lauki/bottle gourd
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup mawa/khoya
- 3/4 cup coconut flour/desiccated coconut
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 4 tbsp ghee
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- sliced nuts for garnish
- On a low flame,heat 2 tbsp ghee and saute bottle gourd.Cook for 10 mins.
- Add milk with mawa/khoya/reduced milk,let is cook on low flame.
- Once the milk has evaporated by 75%,add cardamom,sugar and coconut flour/finely dessicated coconut.
- Let is cook on slow flame, add 2 tbsp ghee and cook until it comes out as a homogeneous mixture.
- Tranfer it to a tray lined with baking paper,garnish with nuts.
- Allow this to set for few hours until it has cooled down.
- Transfer to the refrigerator for few hours
- Cut into desired shapes.
Click here to see more dessert recipes.
Also,click here to see more recipe videos.