Lauki Thepla/ Dudhi na thepla is a fantastic pancake.This bottle gourd flatbread is a unique recipe.You can eat it at any time of the day.These are light and healthy egg-free pancakes.
Theple is a great way of having squash.Serve it with green spicy mint chutney if vegan or with yogurt.This is a gluten free pancake if you make it with only maize flour.
However,you can also mix whole wheat flour if not specific.
Benefits of Bottle gourd
Some people are not fond of this veggie .They think it should be eaten only when sick. Unknowingly, they push away a great diuretic.Bottle gourd need not be that boring veggie.You can make many beautiful things out of it.
Dudhi or ghiya is excellent for digestion.It is also a near substitute of potatoes.
A must veggie for diabetics.Also,a must for people watching their weight.
Wonderful lauki recipes
You can even make a party recipe from it like lauki ke kofte.No one will believe it is ghia.It is super yummy.Make simple sabji or curry with tomatoes or make a lentil based dudhi chana nu shak.You can even make a gluten-free sweet out if it using dessicated coconut or coconut flour,lauki barfi.If you do not get fresh bottle gourd, you can use frozen one.Else you can make a similar paratha from zucchini too.
Scroll below to read the recipe of Lauki Thepla
Lauki Thepla -bottle gourd flatbread
- 2 cup maize flour/Makke ka aata or Jowar/Sorghum flour
- 1 medium sized Bottle gourd/Lauki (2 cups grated gourd_
- 2 tsp minced ginger/adrak
- 1 tsp green chilies chopped
- salt as per taste/namak
- Oil for roasting
- Peel and Grate squash coarsely in a bowl with ginger and chillies
- Heat a pan and cook the gourd mix for 10 mins on low flame or until the mix is hot.
- Add the flour and mix it with a spoon as it will be quite hot.
- Knead it into a flour once it has cooled down a bit.
- Take a portion of the dough and roll into a flatbread on a baking paper,you can do this using your hands.
- On a pre-heated iron pan, cook the flatbread with little oil on each side.
- Fresh warm with raita/chutney.
You can omit the use oil, simply use a napkin to roast thepla.
If required, add 2-3 tbsp. water while kneading the dough, only if you do not get enough water from the gourd
While rolling the flat bread, if it gets sticky, use a bit of oil on a baking paper.
Click bread for more bread recipes.
Also,click here to see more recipe videos from our youtube channel "secondrecipe".