Mawa or khoya is a critical ingredient in many Indian sweets. There are many dairy based recipes we make for festivals. We make sweets, appetizers and curries with it . No festival can be complete without it. Be it delicious curry, khoya makhana matar or mango peda. Decadent gulab jamun on Dusshera or modak on Ganesh chaturthi. Be it til mawa burfi on Sankranti or gujiya on Holi. Yummy mathura peda on Janamashtami or Chocolate barfi and milk cake in Diwali. Every sweet has a special addition. Mawa. You can add it to make your gajar ka halwa extra yummy in winters. Every party rocks with a special sweet.
In India, you can get fresh, in most sweet shops. Making it at home is a tedious process. This makes people buy it from a local dairy. The traditional method takes its time. Many people resort to commercial sweets as they cannot make time for it. You need to stir continuously and plan ahead. What do you do when you cannot access it abroad? Alas, you resort to packed sweets but did you know it is quite easy to make instant khoya? Just scroll below and see the magic. It hardly takes 15 mins.
How to make instant mawa?
The answer to this question is simple. It also needs minimal ingredients. Only 3!
The core ingredients are
- Milk powder
- Cream (You can use store bought full cream.)
This way it helps me enjoy many sweets even outside India. Scroll below to see the full mawa recipe.
How to get Mawa?
- Buy it from a dairy nearby.
- You can make it by reducing milk, as in the traditional method. However ,it needs time and planning.
- You can also make khoya with condensed milk. Sadly, you cannot control sugar in it.
- Make it with unsweetened milk powder using microwave or instant pot.
- You may also use evaporated milk to make khoya.
how to make instant mawa at home?
There are 3 methods to make it.
- A traditional method of making 'mawa' is quite time taking. You need to boil milk and let it simmer for hours to reduce it.
- You can also make in microwave. It is more convenient. You only need some ghee, milk powder and cream. You just need 5 minutes to make this filling in the below method. This helps you prepare lot many recipes with khoya in a short time.
- You can also make this in a steamer. Just the same ingredients .Mix and steam in the steamer for around 15 minutes. Mix again with spoon. No sugar added. Add according to your taste.
Benefits of making mawa at home
- First of all it is easy and convenient. Hardly takes time.
- You know about the purity. There are no hidden ingredients or preservatives.
- You do not need to rush to market or despair if it is over. Fresh homemade is best.
- Also, if you stay in a place, where it is not easily available. No need to fret. You can still enjoy your sweets.
- You can finally finish the unsweetened instant milk powder carton lying in your kitchen
how to make khoya from milk powder in microwave?
- In a bowl mix all ingredients.
2. Steam for 15 mins in a steamer or microwave for 2 mins. Stir and microwave again if you want a drier consistency. It takes only 2 mins to make mawa. Mix with a spoon once done. Personally, I am not a big fan. I try to avoid microwave as much as possible.
3. Store in a refrigerator in an airtight container. It stays up till 7-10 days.
Read below the recipe on how to make khoya with milk powder
How to make mawa in microwave or steamer
- 2 cup unsweetened milk powder
- 3-4 tablespoon ghee or clarified butter
- ⅔ cup full fat milk cream
- Mix all the ingredients.
- Microwave for 2 minutes and mix well or cover & cook in steamer for 15 minutes.
- If you find it tough, add 1 tablespoon cream when its still hot.
- Refrigerate once it cools.
5 best mawa recipes:
Also, click here to see more recipe videos.