Whoever said cooking is not my forte,should understand cooking is not just making complex dishes but even simple ones.It is easy to cook even with less ingredients.Indian Lemon rice recipe is a great way to use left overs.Chitranna as you call it in Karnataka,Nimmakaya pulihora in Andhra is an all time favorite. This is the South Indian lemon rice recipe.Did you know there is a Greek lemon rice recipe too? It just has an addition of onion to it.
Food waste fighter mom
Food waste is a reality we should all fight together.My mum has been using this recipe since my childhood.She being a working mum always used left over rice of dinner to make a yummy breakfast.Sometimes fried rice or lemon rice side dish and even rice paratha. As a mum now,I know why 🙂 I hate wasting food and try to finish everything we make daily.
Kids love it in their lunch box and so do elders.It also takes the mundane rice feeling out on a weekday.You may also add in some crispy chips and a nice tangy potato curry to go with it.This is great for vegan option.
You can also have some yogurt dip along with it or some 'ghee' if not vegan.
Quick and a great fix from eating boring oily food at office mess.
Add peas/carrots to actual recipe to make your own pilaf version.
This makes it healthier and yet packs a punch with the authentic flavors.
How to make lemon rice?
- Add the tempering ingredients in oil
- Now,add soaked dal/lentils and let it splutter.
- Add turmeric and salt to rice
- Mix rice with tempering with peanuts
Read the lemon rice recipe below:
- 1.5 cup cooked rice
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp urad dal/split black gram soaked in water for 20 mins and drained
- 1 tbsp channa dal/split bengal gram soaked in water for 20 mins and drained
- 1/4 cup peanuts
- 1/4 cup cashews optional
- Generous pinch of heeng/asafoetida Avoid if gluten-free
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 3 sprigs of curry leaves
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 dried red chilli
- Salt as per taste
- Cook rice and keep it aside. Ensure they are not mushy.
- Add turmeric and lemon juice to rice, keep it aside.
- In a pan,heat oil and and saute peanuts, keep it aside.
- Add mustard seeds,let it splutter.
- Add curry leaves followed by chillies and soaked lentils.
- Let it roast.Add asafoetida & ginger
- Add peanuts,rice and mix well
- Serve hot.
You may also use left over rice for this recipe.Only add the lemon mix to it.
Click here to see additional rice bowl recipes.
Also, click here to watch additional recipe videos.