Yeah, it is summer time. Mango season is here. You can see them everywhere. Some are lucky to have gardens. They can pluck from their orchards. Others buy it from markets. Many vendors cut raw mangoes for the customer. You can get a different size according to your demand. This is quite common in Mumbai. However, here in Melbourne, you got to do it yourself. Never mind. Anything for those mangoes. They do have a fan following of their own. Eat them sour or ripe. They are always a delight.
what is raw mango rice?
I remember eating it for the first time at Mumbai. One of my colleagues, Saranya made it. She was from Tamil Nadu. Also, new to Mumbai. She asked us if we would like to taste a rice recipe with mangoes. We agreed enthusiastically. After all, food binds you together as a team.
Initially, we thought it will be sweet. Sweet mangoes do come to your mind always. Hence, considering it is a mango based recipe, it will be sweet. However, it was all tangy and delicious. Much to our surprise. Life does surprise you isn't it?
Now, I remember her every time I make this. Learnt this recipe from my bestie's family. Friends are family when you are lucky. Now that I am far away, I cherish their presence even more. Thanks to technology we still bond over recipes though we may not share a cup of tea together.
How do you eat green mangos
Sour ones are pickled or eaten with salt and red chilly powder. Tangy and tasty. You can also make many raw mango recipes. Some use it for pickles, relish, chutneys and even salsa. Another famous recipe is raw mango rice. While Thai serves mango sticky rice, South India serves raw version too. We call it with different names. Mangai Sadam( in Tamil),Mamidikaya pulihora( in Telugu) or Mavinakayi Chitranna( in Kannada).
What are some unique recipes made from mangoes
Ripe and juicy sweet ones are great for Vitamin A. Eat them raw. Make a delicious ice cream. Add them to smoothies. Make an easy salad -mango salsa. If you love sweets, make a peda , shrikhand or fudge. Make a sweet aamras with pulp. Eat it as it is or serve with poori. Add it to yogurt to make a lassi. Possibilities are endless. I recently fell in love with Mango cake. I will get to that one later.
What are some interesting ways to use cooked rice in cooking?
Rice is comfort food for many south Indians. You can make a big pot of rice when guests are coming. Transform it into tangy and spicy recipes. Add tamarind paste and make a puliyogre. You may add lemons and make a lemon rice. Add it to yogurt to make a comforting daddojanam. Ideal for hot summer days. Rice makes a filling and easy meal. You can even eat it at room temperature. Hence, it works great for tiffin. Ideal to eat with yogurt or korma or even as it is. Doesn't take much time to cook. Make it in a rice cooker or instant pot. No fretting. Easy meal for all.
All these recipes can be made with left over rice too. Easy way to avoid food waste. Add cooked rice to use all the left over raw fruit. Avoid asafoetida or heeng to make it both vegan and gluten-free. You can make it for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Just change the tempering. Helps you save money and avoid oily takeaways too. If you are not vegan, serve with a huge dollop of ghee. Simply comforting meal.
how to make raw mango rice?
Raw mango rice
- 1 cup rice washed and soaked in 3 cups of water for 20 mins
- 1 cup raw mango coarsely chopped
- ½ cup grated fresh coconut if using dry coconut soak it for 30 mins in half a cup of warm water
- 2 medium sized green chillies chopped fine
For the tempering
- ½ tsp mustard seeds/rai
- ½ tsp blackgram / urad dal
- 1 medium sized dry red chilli broken into 3-4 pieces
- ½ tsp Bengal gram / channa dal
- ¼ cup groundnuts/cashews
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- ¼ tsp asafoetida / hing avoid if gluten-free
- ¼ tsp tumeric / haldi powder
- salt to taste
- 3 tsp groundnut or sunflower oil
- Cook soaked rice.Spread out on a large plate to cool.
For mango chilli mixture
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan and add ½ a tsp of mustard seeds.Let it splutter.
- Add chopped mango.Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the chopped green chillies. Cook for another minute.
- Next add grated coconut, turmeric powder and salt.
- Mix well and take off the flame.Let it cool.
- Pulse the mango-coconut-chilli mixture twice or thrice in a mixer.
- Take care to keep it coarse as we do not want a smooth chutney here.
- Heat 2 tsp oil and add the mustard seeds to it.
- When they splutter, add bengal gram and black gram.
- Add the groundnuts ,cashews and stir-fry till them
- Add the red chilly bits, asafoetida and curry leaves.
- Stir well and take off the flame.
- Add the mango-coconut-chilli mixture along with above tempering to the rice.
- Mix well.
Click here for more rice bowl recipes.
Also, click here to view more recipe videos.