Khichdi is a comfort meal for many especially when sick. It is naturally gluten-free and can be made vegan too. You can make it in a pressure cooker, instant pot and even a deep pan. Learn to make this easy recipe here.
It is a complete meal with carbs and proteins and can be made with any rice or lentil. You can make it with brown rice too. The below recipe is with red lentils but you can use moong lentils too.
- Saucepan / pot
red lentils/ masur dal
oil/ghee if vegetarian
cumin seeds/ jeera
green chilly chopped ( increase to 2 as per your taste)
salt as per taste
Refer to recipe card for quantity.
- Soak the red lentils and rice for 15-20 mins after washing them. Alternatively you may soak them in hot water for 10 mins if in a rush.
2. Heat oil or ghee in a pot. Add cumin seeds and ginger. Let it splutter.
3. Add chopped tomatoes along with some salt.
4. Mix well and cook until they soften.
5. Add the soaked lentil-rice mix to the vegetables.
6. Add 3 cups of water to the lentil rice mixture.
7. Add spices.
8. Let it come to a boil. Cover and cook on a low flame until lentils soften.
9. Add chopped spinach and mix well. Cook for 5 minutes.
For the vegetarian option: Add a dollop of ghee or butter on top of lentil khichdi on the plate. It tastes divine. Just pair it with some yogurt while serving.
You can add a variety of veggies to this like carrots, peas, onions, beans as a variation.
Another great gluten-free recipe is Sago pilaf or sabudana khichdi. Another variation is millet khichdi like bajra khichdi. Other popular ones are Bengali khichuri served in Pooja pandals,simple Gujarati khichdi/ vaghareli khichdi recipe, Makai ni khichdi and Fada khichdi or dalia khichdi. These days even oats khichdi and quinoa khichdi are popular.
red lentil khichdi recipe | masur dal khichdi
- Masher optional
- ½ cup rice
- ½ cup red lentil dal /masur dal
- 2 tomatoes medium
- 2.5 cups water
- 1 tbsp. oil / ghee if vegetarian
- ½ tbsp. cumin seeds
- 1 tsp. ginger chopped
- 1 tbsp. curry powder
- 1 tbsp. cumin powder
- Salt as per taste
- Soak the red lentils and rice for 15-20 mins after washing them. Alternatively, you may soak them in hot water for 10 mins if in a rush.
- Heat oil or ghee in a pot. Add cumin seeds and ginger. Let it splutter.
- Add chopped tomatoes along with some salt.
- Mix well and cook until they soften.
- Add the soaked lentil-rice mix to the vegetables.
- Add 3 cups of water to the lentil rice mixture.
- Add spices.
- Let it come to a boil. Cover and cook on a low flame until lentils soften.
- Add chopped spinach and mix well. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Serve hot with papad and pickle. You may also serve it with yogurt or boondi raita if not vegan.
It helps detox the system and improve immunity. Very important meal when you are recovering.
khichadi or khichri comes from a Sanskrit word khiccha and is one of the first meals of a baby.
Yes as it has carbohydrates, proteins ,fiber and vitamins.It can be considered as a superfood.