Tomato rice is an easy way to re-use left over rice.It is a great tiffin recipe for kids for lunch box.You can make it easily for a picnic or brunch.Tangy and flavorful,it is a great way to make kids eat rice who do not like plain version.You can even have it during long journeys and overnight travel.It does not need any curry with it.Hence, saves cooking time.Perfect during those mid week cooking when you have to rush.
You can just add some plain pot set yogurt if you are not vegan.
This recipe is pretty common in all south Indian homes across Andhra Pradesh/Telangana,Karnataka and Tamil Nadu.
You can never get bored of making this.I have been eating this since more than a decade and it still remains my favorite.
Flavor the rice with nice tangy sour tomatoes.Garnish them with cashews, peas or peanuts.
Same same but different?
Did you know there is a Mexican rice too?
There is also a similar version of this rice eaten in Mexico called the Mexican tomato rice.
The only difference being addition of vegetable/chicken stock and chipotle paste.
Quite a coincidence, I must say!
How to make tomato rice?
- Heat oil and temper mustard seeds ,ginger, green chilli and curry leaves. Add a pinch of asafoetida/heeng if not gluten-free.
- Add tomato puree to the tempering.
3. Add turmeric, red chilly powder and cook until rawness of tomato disappears. Stir to ensure spices are mixed well.
4. Now, add rice to it and mix well. Serve hot.
5. Optionally you may add fried cashews, dried red chilli, peanuts to increase the flavor. Serve hot with fried appalam/papad and yogurt (if not vegan).
Read the recipe of tomato rice below:
- 1 cup rice cooked
- 2 to matoes pureed
- 2-3 tsbp. peanuts
- 1 tbsp mustard seeds
- 1 piece ginger
- Pinch of heeng/asafoetida optional if making gluten-free
- 1-2 green chillies chopped
- 1 tbsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- Sprig of curry leaves
- Boil rice and keep it aside.You may also use leftover rice for the same.
- Puree the tomatoes,keep it side
- In a pan,add some oil and cook the peanuts,keep aside.
- Add some mustard seeds,ginger,curry leaves and green chillies.
- Let the seeds splutter. Now add asafoetida.
- Add asafoetida followed by turmeric and red chilli powder.Now add the pureed tomato mix and let it cook until rawness of tomatoes disappears.
- Mix this to the steamed rice with cooked peanuts.
- Serve hot with papad if vegan or with yogurt raita.
Click here to see more rice recipes.
Also,click here to see more recipe videos.