This is simple recipe of Chana dal which is both delicious and simple. You could pair it with toasted sourdough bread or with rice. Pair it with a grilled veggie sandwich and you are done with dinner in a jiffy.
Yellow lentils or chana dal are easily available and cook little slower compared to other lentils. Dal is a great way of having proteins. Just add a dash of lemon juice for easy iron absorption. Other vegan dishes that I like include green moong dal curry , plum chutney ,garlic knots , pumpkin lentil curry ,easy thai curry , chickpea korma curry , vegan carrot dogs , vegan dal makhani & potato curry recipe.
Different types of lentil recipes
Lentils are easy to digest as well as cheap. A packet lasts long and makes multiple meals. You can make variety of dishes with lentils and never get bored.
Indian lentils for reference:
- Moong - yellow split lentils
- Sabut moong/Hari moong - green gram split lentils
- Chilke wali moong -split green gram
- Urad dal chilka- split black gram
- Kali /Maa ki dal - black gram whole lentils
- Urad - split black gram
- Toor /arhar - yellow pigeon peas split lentils
- Chana -split Bengal gram
- Masoor -red lentils
- Moth - Turkish gram
Other important ones are turai dhal, lauki chana dhal, daal makhni,Yellow dal recipe sambar, rasam, amti. Dal fry & jeera rice is a match made in heaven. Indian cuisine has a variety of lentils and many ways to use them. Be it as a curry, appetizer and even a dessert. See the space below to learn how to make mixed lentils.
For cooking lentils in pot
- Yellow lentils / Chana dal (soaked in water)
- Paprika powder
- Curry powder
- salt as per taste
- Coriander leaves
- lemon juice (optional)
- In a pan, heat oil and add ginger and garlic.
- Add tomatoes and salt.
- Continue cooking on low heat.
- Once tomatoes soften, add paprika and curry powder.
- Cook until the spices are mixed well
- Add the soaked lentils
- Add water to the lentils,cover and cook
- Cook on slow flame, until the lentils are cooked and soft(25-30 minutes). You can adjust the amount of water as per your choice
Garnish with fresh coriander leaves. Serve warm with bread or rice.
I have used a heavy bottom pot here in this recipe. However, you can always use your instant pot for it. I am yet to try this in mine though. Will update the recipe card as soon as I do. 🙂
If you like your food spicy, increase the red chili powder in tempering. If you like your food mild, use paprika or Kashmiri red chilly powder which are a milder variety.
You can use ghee for tempering instead of oil if you are vegetarian.
You can cook lentils in any heavy bottom pan or even a slow cooker. You can use a instant pot or a pressure cooker too. The cook time will differ depending on the equipment. Check if the lentils are ready, by mashing a spoonful by using your thumb and index finger. Otherwise let it cook for 10-15 mins.
If you are short of time on a weeknight? Boil the lentils in a a bigger quantity which lasts two days together. Use half and remaining the next day. Always temper the lentils fresh, it tastes perfect. If you have lots of dhal left, strain it to use water for making rasam.Use the boiled lentil to make paratha.
Read more similar recipes
Yellow dal recipe
- Pot for cooking lentils
- small pan for tempering
For cooking lentils in a pot
- 1 cup Yellow split peas also known as chana dal in India
- 2 tablespoon oil or ghee
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 1 cup tomatoes crushed/pureed
- 1 tablespoon curry powder can be replace with turmeric powder,garam masala
- ½ tablespoon paprika powder
- 3 cups water or more
- 1 teaspoon Coriander for garnish
- Salt as per taste
- lemon juice optional
Step to cook the dal
- Soak the lentils in a bowl of water for 30 minutes or an hour atleast. drain the excess water
- In a pan, heat oil and cook ginger and garlic
- Add tomatoes with little salt
- Cook until the tomatoes are soft, add the curry powder with paprika powder
- Add the soaked lentils with water.
- Cover and cook until the lentils are soft and start breaking apart.(around 30-35 minutes)
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves,serve with Rice/bread
Let it simmer for a while once it boils. It thickens as time goes by.
Dal is low in fat and high in protein. It helps you avoid meat too. It is filling and nutritious. Good source of iron. Just remember to add a dash of lemon for best results.
Please share your inputs..