Overnight oats are a top pick for breakfast 'cause they're so simple and you can get creative with 'em. People have been loving overnight oats with frozen fruit. Toss some frozen fruit into your oats for an extra flavor plus some extra goodness. This will give the fruit enough time to warm up and release its juice, which will soak into the oats overnight..
This is a clean eating recipe which needs 5 mins for preparation. Although you can make many recipes with oats or jau like cookies, bread, dosa, poha, dhokla, praline, ladoo. This is the simplest old fashioned oats recipe. You can also add oats to vegan chia pudding with mangoes if you like.
Dilemmas of a new cuisine
When I first made it, I didn't know how it was supposed to taste. I was a little taken aback How am I supposed to eat this? I never thought I will be able to eat it ever! Is it really yuck or just made to look good? You eventually come to love the recipe with time. Whether you use old fashioned rolled or steel cut, or quick cooking one, you need to find the one you love. I first started having it as a berry smoothie. Later moved to having it warm with cornflakes. Now I have finally ditched my corn flakes and I have it plain in warm milk.
Yes, it does get softened fast depending on the variety. You just need to get the variety right. I have tried different varieties from Costco, Amazon and other retailers and understood the one I liked. It is an easy meal. Kids and bachelors can make it too. People who have to travel due to work or those who just cannot wake up early for making breakfast.
Benefit of oats
- Great for gut.
- Helps regulate high blood pressure.
- Rich in anti-oxidants.
- Supports weight-loss.
- Helps regulate blood sugar.
- Mixing bowl and a spoon
- Knife for chopping fruits.
- Rolled oats
- Milk/ oat milk for vegan option
- Frozen fruits or fresh fruits
- Honey / maple syrup for vegan (Optional)
- Take rolled oats in a bowl
2. Add plant based milk/milk or any other liquid of your choice to these oats.
3. Add the frozen fruits to the oat bowl of your choice such as blueberries,rasberries,strawberries
4. Store them overnight in the refrigerator or at room temperature(if the weather suits).serve with more frozen fruits and any sweetener if you like.
You can make this with Greek yogurt or milk and honey, for dairy option. Make different overnight oats recipes with agave, almond milk or oat milk, for vegan options. Changing the milk, changes the flavor of the cereal. It is healthy even if you add warm milk in cold weather and eat a plain bowl full. Add a vanilla almond milk flavor if you like it plain. Its better than eating sugar loaded cereal.
You could also use water or juice as a base.
In summer, adding fresh fruits can give it a new twist. Make a new flavor by changing it to bananas, apples, mangoes and berries. My favorite overnight oats recipe is with banana and mangoes. Make a smoothie if you do not like it whole. I ensure this is my on-the-go breakfast when in a hurry. Refrigerator oatmeal breakfast is for those who like to chew instead.
You can also make pear overnight oats with a sweet pear. The sweetness of pear allows you to easily skip adding any more sweeteners.
You can make oreo overnight oats with crumbled oreo added to your bowl of soaked oats.
You can also make oatmeal with flaxseed and chia seeds.These seeds help to increase the nutritional value. ½ tablespoon of chia seed and ½ tablespoon of flax seeds is enough per serve. Feel free to add more milk/water/juice as these seed absorb a lot of liquid.
Here are some Indian style recipes which we have recreated with oats.
Vegan Overnight Oats recipe with frozen fruit
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2 cup almond milk or dairy milk
- ¼ cup frozen blueberries
- ¼ cup frozen strawberries
- ¼ cup frozen raspberries
- 1 frozen banana sliced
- 1 tsp. maple syrup or maple syrup if eating vegan (optional)
- Take rolled oats in a bowl
- Add any plant based milk to the oats.
- Add the frozen fruits to the oat bowl of your choice such as blueberries, rasberries, strawberries
- Soak the oats in milk overnight or 4 hours atleast.
- When you are ready to serve ,add frozen fruits (If you do not like it very cold, you may add little warm milk before serving)
- Add maple syrup if you prefer it more sweet.
Also, click here to watch more recipe videos from our channel "secondrecipe".
Minimum of 2 hrs, best sitting for 4-6 hours.
For every 1 cup of oats, make sure you add 2 cups of liquid. Oats swell and soften and soak it up. Too little liquid will not work.