What are overnight oats?
Oatmeal porridge or Bircher Muesli has been a traditional breakfast for centuries in English countryside. Overnight oatmeal with chia is a healthy recipe too. Generally, it is eaten with Greek yogurt. It works equally great for eating a cold breakfast in hot Indian summers. You can make it with yogurt or milk too. Use a nut based milk if going vegan.
This is a clean eating recipe which needs 5 mins for preparation. Although you can make many recipes with oats or jau like cookies, bread, dosa, poha, dhokla, praline, ladoo. This is the simplest old fashioned oats recipe. You can also add oats to vegan chia pudding with mangoes if you like.
Dilemmas of a new cuisine
When I first made it, I didn't know how it was supposed to taste. I was a little taken aback How am I supposed to eat this? I never thought I will be able to eat it ever! Is it really yuck or just made to look good? You eventually come to love the recipe with time. Whether you use old fashioned rolled or steel cut, or quick cooking one, you need to find the one you love. I first started having it as a berry smoothie. Later moved to having it warm with cornflakes. Now I have finally ditched my corn flakes and I have it plain in warm milk.
Yes, it does get softened fast depending on the variety. You just need to get the variety right. I have tried different varieties from Costco, Amazon and other retailers and understood the one I liked. It is an easy meal. Kids and bachelors can make it too. People who have to travel due to work or those who just cannot wake up early for making breakfast.
You can make this with Greek yogurt or milk and honey, for dairy option. Make different overnight oats recipes with agave, almond milk or oat milk, for vegan options. Changing the milk, changes the flavor of the cereal. It is healthy even if you add warm milk in cold weather and eat a plain bowl full. Add a vanilla almond milk flavor if you like it plain. Its better than eating sugar loaded cereal.
In summer, adding fresh fruits or frozen berries can give it a new twist.Make a new flavor by changing it to bananas, apples, mangoes and berries. My favorite overnight oats recipe is with banana and mangoes. Make a smoothie if you do not like it whole. I ensure this is my on-the-go breakfast when in a hurry. Refrigerator oatmeal breakfast is for those who like to chew instead.
Benefit of oats
- Great for gut.
- Helps regulate high blood pressure.
- Rich in anti-oxidants.
- Supports weight-loss.
- Helps regulate blood sugar.
- Mixing bowl and a spoon
- Knife for chopping fruits.
- Rolled oats
- Milk/ oat milk for vegan option
- Fruits -apples, bananas, berries of your choice
- Honey / maple syrup for vegan (Optional)
- Boil milk and cool it.Take rolled oats in a bowl
2. Soak the oats in milk overnight in a refrigerator or at room temperature.
3. When you are ready to serve, add grated apple, bananas,berries and any other fruit of your choice. (If you do not like it very cold, you may add little warm milk before serving)
4. Serve fresh.
Here are some Indian style recipes which we have recreated with oats.
Overnight Oats recipe
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2 cup milk/almond milk if vegan
- ½ apple shredded
- ¼ cup blueberries
- ¼ cup strawberries
- 1 banana sliced
- 1 tsp. honey or maple syrup if eating vegan (optional)
- Boil milk and cool it.
- Soak the oats in milk overnight) in a refrigerator or at room tempreture.
- When you are ready to serve ,add grated apple, bananas, berries and any other fruit of your choice. (If you do not like it very cold, you may add little warm milk before serving)
- Add honey/maple syrup if you prefer it more sweet.
Also, click here to watch more recipe videos from our channel "secondrecipe".
Minimum of 2 hrs, best sitting for 8-12 hours.
For every 1 cup of oats, make sure you add 2 cups of liquid. Oats swell and soften and soak it up. Too little liquid will not work.