Some people can have oats daily as smoothie or as overnight oats. However, many feel oats are bland. Indians are used to spicy food. We are used to our poha, dhokla, idli and dosa. We can make all this from oats too. Oats recipe can be altered to the spicy food we are used to. Oats dhokla is a fusion of good taste and healthy food.
Who says oats needs to be an all bland affair?
Forget the Bircher muesli and overnight oats for once. Use oats in poha and dhokla. We use this as a base. Make a fusion with our herbs and spices to give it a new avatar. Trust us to make up a tasty dish with this secret ingredient. Dhokla is a steamed snack very popular in western region of India. You can make this for breakfast, snack or a light dinner with soup. You get various varieties of Dhokla like mixed dal, Khaman and Sandwich dhokla. It is an integral part of Gujarati cuisine. This oats version is a tastier way to eat oats. It also gives you a break with eating normal oats.Best part about this recipe is it doesn't dry even after 6-8 hrs.
How to make oats dhokla?
- Dry roast oats for 10-15 mins on a low flame.
2. Grind them into a coarse powder, keep it aside. Dry roast semolina for 10 mins on low flame and mix it with oats.
3. Mix all ingredients into a smooth batter except Eno fruit salt.
4. Add eno fruit salt to batter and mix well.
5. Grease a vessel with oil. Pour the batter into the greased bowl. Steam for 15-20 mins or until cooked.
6. In an pan, heat oil and add mustard seeds, curry leaves and chillies.
7. Spread this mixture on the steamed dhokla.
8. Serve hot with mint chutney.
- 1 cup oats
- ½ cup sooji or semolina
- ½ cup dahi or yogurt
- ½ cup water
- 1 tbsp ginger-chilli paste
- 1-¼ tsp Eno fruit salt
- ½ tsp sugar
- Salt as per taste
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1-2 slit green chillies
- Handful of curry leaves
- Dry roast oats for 10-15 mins on a low flame and grind them into a coarse powder,keep it aside.
- Dry roast semolina for 10 mins on low flame,keep it aside.
- Mix all ingredients into a smooth batter except eno fruit salt.
- Grease a vessel with oil.
- Add eno fruit salt to batter and mix well.Pour the batter into the greased bowl.
- Steam for 15-20 mins or until cooked.
- Allow it to cook, cut into pieces.
- In an pan, heat oil.
- Add mustard seeds,curry leaves and chillies.
- Spread this mixture on the steamed dhokla.
- Serve hot with chutney.
See more dhokla recipes
See more oat recipes below:
Also, click here to see more recipe videos.