Chikki is an Indian brittle or praline. It is an easy sweet and needs little cook time. This is a must for Diwali in Sindhi households. Most people also make it for Makar Sankranti. These sweets are a powerhouse of vitamins and anti-oxidants. Diwali and Sankranti both come during the beginning of autumn and near end of winter.
Generally we make chikki out of peanuts, mix of almond walnuts and pistachios, sesame seeds. All these ingredients are great for protein and also increase body heat. Oats chikki or Oats brittle is a unique way of having oats. It resembles the nut based granola bars.
Unique ways of having oats
I try to incorporate oats in many ways into my diet. They are great for health and for weight loss. Great even for a toddler and older kids. However I cannot have it cold. I just can't. This recipe is for people who cannot have it cold as overnight oats I can have oats as a smoothie or as a brittle. You can also roast oats and powder them. Add it to roti. Oats dhokla and laddoo are also a great way to add it to your diet.
Roasted nuts are great for protein. Jaggery is good for iron. Oats are quite filling. Hence, this recipe is more nutritious than having a bar of chocolate. It actually resembles granola bars. A great pick me up between meetings. Healthy and flavorful yet something sweet. You can also break this brittle and drizzle over ice cream for extra crunch. I love having it that way too.
Tip: Cook the jaggery until it turns brittle. When you drop bit of hot jaggery in cold water it should turn hard as mentioned below in the recipe.
How to make oats chikki?
- Dry roast oats in a pan. Keep it aside.
- In a non-stick pan, heat a spoonful of oil and add jaggery to it. Keep stirring for 10 minutes on a low flame or until jaggery dissolves.
- Check if the jaggery is good to use, by adding a drop in a bowl of water. It should harden. If it is not ready, cook for a few more minutes.
- Turn off the flame and add oats, raisins, dried berries. Mix well.
- Spread the oat mixture on a baking sheet and press with a rolling pin. Make incisions while it is warm.
- Store in an air-tight jar once it has cooled.
Read the recipe of Oats chikki
Oats chikki - Oats brittle
- Dry roast oats for 10 mins on low flame. Keep it aside.
- In a pan, add coconut oil and jaggery.
- Mix on low flame, Keep stirring for 10 minutes.
- In bowl of water, add a drop of hot jaggery to check if it is brittle.if not, cook further for few minutes and retry the same process.
- Once cooked,turn off the flame.
- Add all ingredients,mix well.
- Spread mix on baking paper or a greased tray. Press evenly using a rolling pin.
- Draw desired incisions using a knife,allow it to cool.
- Break it along the incisions.
- Store in an air tight dry jar.
Click here for more recipe videos.
Click here for sweet recipes.
This recipe has featured in the Indianlink magazine.