Brittle is a traditional Indian recipe which is a must for Diwali.Most people also make it for Makar Sankranti.Oats chikki- Oats brittle is a unique way of having oats.You can also make it from dry fruits,lentils & coconut.
Unique ways of having oats
I try to incorporate oats in many ways into my diet.They are great for health.Great even for a toddler and older kids.However I cannot have it cold.Just can't.This recipe is for people who cannot have it cold as overnight oats.I can have oats as a smoothie or as a brittle.Oats Poha and cookies are also a great way to add it to your diet.This recipe resembles our granola bars.It is a great pick me up between meetings.Healthy and flavorful yet something sweet.You can also break this brittle and drizzle over ice cream for extra crunch.I love having it that way.
Tip: Cook the jaggery until it turns brittle. When you drop bit of hot jaggery in cold water it should turn hard as mentioned below in the recipe.
Scroll below to read the recipe of Oats chikki- Oats brittle
Oats chikki - Oats brittle
- 1 cup oats
- 1/2 cup mixed berries
- 1/2 cup jaggery
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- Dry roast oats for 10 mins on low flame. Keep it aside.
- In a pan, add coconut oil and jaggery.
- Mix on low flame, Keep stirring for 10 minutes.
- In bowl of water, add a drop of hot jaggery to check if it is brittle.if not, cook further for few minutes and retry the same process.
- Once cooked,turn off the flame.
- Add all ingredients,mix well.
- Spread mix on baking paper or a greased tray. Press evenly using a rolling pin.
- Draw desired incisions using a knife,allow it to cool.
- Break it along the incisions.
- Store in an air tight dry jar.
Click here for more recipe videos.
Click here for sweet recipes.
This recipe has featured in the Indianlink magazine.