How to make Rabri? (Traditional method)
We boil of milk on low flame and let it go on for few hours in a heavy bottom pan, stirring in between. This method is great especially when you are cooking lunch. Side by side, your sweet dish is ready. Later, we mix dry fruits, saffron once done for a flavorful delight. Just keep stirring to avoid it from getting burnt. Some people also add condensed milk to reduce the cook time. However, you cannot control sugar in it when you add the market based condensed milk. Nowadays, people also add some fruit pulp like mango, rose, custard apple. Originally, it has a pinkish/creamy shade. It has a shade of a light fruity mixture in case of fusion. It also forms a basis of sweets like Shahi Tukda and ice creams like Kulfi.
How to make Rabdi ? (Instant version)
You can also make rabri recipe with condensed milk or with milk powder. Some people also make rabdi recipe with khoya.
Read the Rabri recipe below:
Rabri-Indian milk dessert
- 1 litre full fat milk
- 2-3 tbsp white sugar/castor sugar
- 5-6 saffron strands soak in 2 tbsp warm milk 2-3 hours prior to cooking(optional)
- 1 tbsp almonds diced
- 1 tbsp pistachios diced
- 1 tbsp cardamom powder
- Pinch of cinnamon powder optional
- Boil the milk on high flame.Let it simmer on a low flame.
- Keep on scraping the bottom.
- Add optional flavorings like cardamom/saffron
- Once it has been reduced to ⅓ of original quantity,add sugar as per taste.
- Add the diced pistachios and almonds
- Turn off the hear,this will thicken as it cools off.
- Serve hot or chilled depending on the weather.
Do not use non-stick pan for this recipe.
If your pan is not a thick bottom.milk mixture will stick at the bottom and burn.
Looking for more milk dessert recipes?
Click here to also watch more recipe videos.