Janamashtami is here and so is the season of having milk recipes. Be it shrikhand,kalakand,rasogulla,rasmalai,halwa or peda.There is no milk based sweet which is not in bhog of Kanha ji.Bhugal mawa/milk cake is one recipe you can make easily at home.This can also be offered as bhog during Dussehra and Navratri.
Sindhi Bhugal Mawa is also known as milk cake across India.
Milk cake is a delicacy none can resist.
It is one of the most popular sweets in India.
This is an easy recipe but needs some slow cooking of milk.
Although sweets can be bought,nothing can beat the satisfaction of making it at home.
These days market based sweets also have adulterated khoya at times, so making it at home makes it healthier too.
You need only one major ingredient heavy full fat milk.This is a recipe which will wow your guests.
Alwar ,Rajasthan is specially known for its milk cake.Thakurdas Sweets in Alwar is famous for it.Each day the stock is sold out before noon.I have been lucky to enjoy it when I visited it last.
Mohan sweets at Vizag also makes yummy one.I have been a regular to this place since childhood and taste has remained the same for years.
Step-by-step instructions to make the recipe
Read the recipe of Bhugal Mawa -Milk cake
Bhugal Mawa -Milk cake
- 2 litre full fat milk or 1 litre milk with 1 cup instant mawa
- 1/4 th to 1/2 cup sugar as per taste.
- 2 tbsp pistachios sliced
- 1 tbsp cardamom powder/elaichi
- 1-2 tbsp lime juice
- Boil the milk on low flame.Let it simmer on a low flame once it boils.
- Keep stirring and scraping the milk solids from the sides and bottom of the pan every 10-15 mins.
- Once the milk has reduced to 1/3rd of original volume,add lemon juice.
- The water will start to seperate, add sugar and other ingredients(if using mawa, add at this time)
- Stir in every few minutes on a low flame.
- Keep stirring to ensure no lumps are formed
- Turn of the heat once you see a homogenous mixture.
- Pour the mixture on a tray lined with baking sheet.Garnish with pistachios.
- Cut into desired shapes.
- You can store this in refrigerator for upto 7 days in an air tight box.
Click here to read more dessert recipes.
Also, click here to see more dessert recipe videos